Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any easy way to deal with torn out solder pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

checkmate

Just asking around if anyone has any DIY solutions for torn out solder pads. Tore some out while desoldering a SOIC chip. I could still work with wire bypasses, just looking for a neater solution. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ive heard of this pen that has copper ink. i think maybe u could write on ur board and then solder to the ink. i dunno tho if the solder would stick very well to the copper ink. maybe?

replacing ruined SMT solder pads

You might try using copper foil tape that has a conductive adhesive, like 3M type 1181. It's usually used for EMI shielding, but can be used for making quick and crude hobbyist PC boards or for repairs. Copper tape is widely available, the main obstacles for repair use are probably minimum qty. and minimum width. A quick check showed standard width's down to 1/4", which you could trim to size with a sharp X-acto knife. I've seen tape like this in 1/16" and 1/32" sizes as well somewhere, don't forget to tin it with solder before trying to put down SMT devices. Applying a little solder to the trace and then dragging a piece of solder-wick across the trace with the tip of your soldering iron will leave a thin coat of solder on the copper.

I can confirm the pens work. I used one to repair a group of copper traces that was destroyed when a part was dropped onto the board. Go slow and check your work under a magnifiying glass or microscope if the traces are close together. The pen was like $12US and it dried fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back