Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altos Las Hormigas (Malbec)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
Hola,
I first tried this wine many years ago and got hooked. It has served for anniversaries, weddings ( three daughters!), and so forth. I like it, and it is cheap. But for the last several years, it has not been available in Cleveland. Here is a link to the vineyard: **broken link removed** I consider only the "Reserva" and am down to my last three two bottles of 1999.

1) What is the opinion of those in Argentina?
2) An alternative?
3) Any suggested sources in the USA?

John

Hola John,

Malbec is the top variety in this country (the most common), but not the sole. Also Bonarda does well.
I drink wine less and less these days but...

1) That particular brand, I do not know. I suspect, as with many here, they basically export their production so they are unknow in the local market. In fact, I never seen or heard of it.

2) Suggesting wines is risky because of personal tastes, desire to pay and past experiences. Even more if abroad.

Those that I could name most probably could be not available there: Some of Bianchi (do not recall actual name), Latitud 33, Postales del Fin del Mundo, Uxmal, Finca La Linda or Benjamín (amongst several from Nieto Senetiner). Prices are reasonable locally.

3) Wish I could.

¡Salud!

Thanks for the reply, Agustin

I put the name in the title specifically to catch your eye. In the US, it runs about $20/bottle, which is at the higher end of inexpensive. I was wondering whether in Argentina it might be viewed like we view Gallo and Carlo Rossi. That is, domestic "jug" wines that are used a lot in cooking.

I will look out for Bonarda. For the last few years, I have also been getting a Carmenere from Chili that seems to be a good value. I don't drink much wine either when by myself. I will treat myself on special occasions and whenever I have company.

John

While waiting to board what resulted to be the last vessel in my career, I spent some days at Panamá. There, I recall the full line (white and red) from Bianchi was available. But I am not sure in USA.

That maker, a traditional one, produces good wines. Their top ones, a tad on the expensive side, are very good. I would skip their Borgoña and Margaux. Go for the rest.

Finca La Linda and Postales were my discoveries this year while working at Puerto Madryn in Patagonia. The first was what impressed me the most in years.

Congratulations on your retirement. I did that in 2006 and lasted about 6 weeks before going crazy and becoming sick of myself. I volunteered at a local college, then bought a dilapidated farm that keeps me busy. I hope you will find something to fill your hours.

I found that particular wine in New Jersey and ordered a case. Also added a few bottles of Bonarda. A lot of the "Bonarda" available in the US is actually a blend. What I ended up with was a lower quality pure varietal just to sample. I will keep an eye out for the wines you mention.

John

While waiting to board what resulted to be the last vessel in my career, I spent some days at Panamá. There, I recall the full line (white and red) from Bianchi was available. But I am not sure in USA.

That maker, a traditional one, produces good wines. Their top ones, a tad on the expensive side, are very good. I would skip their Borgoña and Margaux. Go for the rest.

Hola John, old thread, I know. My comment seems even more valid today.

Looks like I was not too far of right.

Albeit in Spanish, look here. "Famiglia" and Bianchi are the keywords. ¡Salud!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back