Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Active Noise Cancelling Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menticol

Hello guys!

A gal friend of mine is working on a project for newborn babies on incubators. She doesn't have an ETO account so I'll speak on behalf of her. As an industrial designer she projected a type of "cap" equipped with speakers that the newborn will wear during his/her permanence on the incubator. (The idea may sound weird at first, but please note that this is an academic exercise and no real babies will be used for testing).

The following are some samples of the frecuency and magnitude of the noise taken inside the incubator.

Foto 3-04-13 11 02 26.pngFoto 3-04-13 11 03 08.png

Besides of all the ergonomical considerations that she already solved, now she's facing various technological challenges. Excuse me if some data is missing, our audio and electronics knowledge are not very extensive.

1) It's feasible to take the circuitry from a comercial noise-cancelling headphones and installing it on the new set? Or the change in geometry and size of the casing will impair the noise cancelling algorithm inside the processor?

2) What would be the maximum noise reduction theoretically obtainable by a high end headset?

3) She had found some noise cancelling circuits ranging from **broken link removed** to more advanced microcontroller based solutions. Given the frequencies and magnitudes that she's facing, do you think that the first circuit may be modified to be adequate enough?

4) She's aware of the "transfer function" - don't know the exact english translation, the sound that hits other parts of the body like the skull or stomach and travel to the ear. Can you recommend some lecture about the topic? How is measured, and (given the frequency and magnitude of the offending noise) it might be enough to suppress the earphones functionality?

PS: Putting the system on the incubator bed is more technologically practical option, but for some odd reason she's not allowed to modify the bed on any way.

Thank you!

Last edited:
The following are some samples of the frecuency and magnitude of the noise taken inside the incubator.

View attachment 73117View attachment 73118

I bet they don't sleep well in the first one. ;)

1) It's feasible to take the circuitry from a comercial noise-cancelling headphones and installing it on the new set? Or the change in geometry and size of the casing will impair the noise cancelling algorithm inside the processor?

I think at least a portion of the cancellation is dependent on the mechanics of the headphones.

2) What would be the maximum noise reduction theoretically obtainable by a high end headset?

I see some with 20 Db advertised.

3) She had found some noise cancelling circuits ranging from **broken link removed** to more advanced microcontroller based solutions. Given the frequencies and magnitudes that she's facing, do you think that the first circuit may be modified to be adequate enough?

That is maybe not the best circuit, but one like it might be worth a try to test with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back