Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A wallet alarm : Suggestions pl

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewPie

Hello all,
I am sort of new to electronics. I am software developer with an interest in tinkering. Recently I learnt about fab labs and have access to one. I need to propose a project idea before they would let me use the fablab. I have thought of product I really want.
I would like a credit card shaped alarm clock that would go in my wallet.

My question is about the battery. Could you suggest what sort of battery I should consider.

a) A simple button cell battery. As these are easy to find. However, they may be too fat. I would need something that is 'almost' as flat as a credit card.

(And hopefully no health hazards keeping it inside the wallet?)

b) Some ultra thin ones like these -
https://www.bluesparktechnologies.com/index.php/products-and-services

https://www.powerstream.com/thin-lithium-ion.htm

However, seems an overkill. I would prefer a low cost solution. I don't need a battery to be measured in microns.

c) Some here -
https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/thin-film-battery.html

Any inputs please let me know.
Best
NP

Welcome to ETO.
Nice project, but there'll be quite a few hurdles to overcome. Have you searched for ultra-thin displays too?

Thank you. I am planning to have just two circular dials. One circle for time and the other for alarm. One single light source on the circle to tell the time. I would like to avoid displays. There are things I need to figure out. I feel if I know the battery rest will be ok?

One single light source on the circle to tell the time.
Can you explain how 1 light indicates time?

Can you explain how 1 light indicates time?
A circle of 12 or 24 LEDs and only one is lighted to show the hour hand of a clock.

An alarm clock is supposed to be heard. But it probably will not be heard in a wallet in a pocket.

Hello alec, audioguru
Yes. I am simply having one LED light up to show the hour hand. A half hour resolution is enough (5,5:30,6 etc ). Depending on the size of the LEDs I may need a big circle. Even if I have a reasonably proposal thats enough. The alarm should be heard. If needed you might take the card and keep it beside you or in your shirt pocket.

The sounder can be the piezo transducer used in a greetings card.

Even a single led will drain a battery that small more quickly than you would like. Your alibaba link is for shrink wrap films for standard batteries - not what you want! I reckon, if you can get around the battery problem, you could equip your card with a connector so you can connect a wire from it to your pc and set the alarm time that way. If you absolutely must have a display, it would be better to have a button you can press to view, like the old led watches did, or go for an lcd.

For reference, I have a calculator which is a little thicker than a credit card - probably if you measured the card including the embossed writing would be it, came free with a bank account. Has clickey buttons and lcd, a solar panel for power.

Hope this is of some use. Good luck :)

Some cheap calculators have a photo of a solar panel on it instead of a real solar panel.

So if they have a photo of a solar panel and also don't have a battery, do people who have them notice they don't work???? Could be missing a trick here!

I have a "Dual Powered Solar-Battery" calculator in my hand. I think it costs $2.00 (a little more than 1 quid) and has a disposable coin cell silver-oxide battery that lasts about 10 years. This calculator has a photo of a solar panel on it.

A tiny solar panel needs a lot of light to power a calculator. Artificial light in the evening and at night on the solar panel of a real dual powered calculator is not enough to make the screen work so they have a battery.

When I was in high school I used my brain or a slide rule, not a calculator. They do not have a solar panel nor a battery.
My first calculator uses a red LED panel for its display. It eats 9V batteries and it still works.

Should I stick a photo of a solar panel on my forehead? Will people who use my brain notice if it doesn't work? Oh wait...

That leads to such a convoluted line of thought my poor old brain just can't get round it. Obviously must be a photo then. Wonder where I put the original?...

I wonder if you stuck a convincing photo of a solar panel on a slide rule (or for that matter, a real solar panel), how many people you could fool that it was "solar powered"????

This really isn't helping the OP though. Probably gone off thinking we're all mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back