Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A phishing trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
I intended installing Skype on an Android tablet, but the download from Google Play wouldn't install without me setting up an account and putting in payment card details. Despite the promise that "we won't take payments from the card unless you use xxx" (where xxx is some non-free service) I declined to proceed. It looked like a phishing scam to me. Was it?
I have Skype (admittedly an old version) on my laptop Windoze PC. That doesn't demand money with menaces :).
When did Skype (if it was indeed the real Skype) start this trick of asking for card details in advance of installation? Did it coincide with Microsoft buying up Skype?

You were wise to reject the offer to accept your credit card.

I've been using Skype on my Kindle for years (current Version 5.6.0.12393/506). Never any $ requests. HAS to be a phish wish.

There is a "Settings" option to "Allow Microsoft targeted ads" that didn't used to be there (although I can't recall the last time I even looked at the "Settings"...:woot:).

I did choose to buy $10 worth for LD calls to landlines overseas , long ago. My account has been stuck at $2.47cad for many years of inactivity.

Thanks guys. I'm worried that the Google Play Store version has been hacked. I tried getting Skype directly from the Microsoft site, but it only redirects to Google. I'll see if I can get some info from the Microsoft forums.

I have a Skype app installed, but never had to put in my credit card info. It gave me the option (in order to pay for Skype credit) but there was a "skip" button which I used.

That's how I recall the installation on my lappy.
Is that app on an Android system, Derstrom? Anyone know if the Android version differs from the Windoze version regarding card info requests?

That's how I recall the installation on my lappy.
Is that app on an Android system, Derstrom? Anyone know if the Android version differs from the Windoze version regarding card info requests?

Yes, that was the Android application available from Google Play. It gave me the option to skip the credit card, if I remember correctly. If it doesn't, definitely say no. It can't be legit.

This is new . web-skype from any browser
https://web.skype.com/en/

Since you have Google's OS on your Android, it appears Google has hijacked Skype and inserted the visa prompt only for Android users. But then Google offers it free and makes zero dollars from Android OS.

But then
Microsoft Has Hijacked Android In A Hostile Takeover
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybr...t-has-hijacked-android-in-a-hostile-takeover/

as the interoperability wars start with taking down compatibility between social networking chat programs...

Last edited:
Not about skype but want to ask about all softwares' payment-

In my chip and beginning country, almost all uses 'illegal' (cracked) softwares. We use cracked windows (US$0.5 per DVD), cracked Office, Craked photoshop, etc etc. I am always curious to know about there in America, Europe, Australia etc. Do they use genuine and paid copy? What about engineers?

In America it is a crime to produce, sell, purchase, or own cracked software. It is called piracy and if caught, calls for a prison sentence and a very hefty fine (for movies I believe it is $250,000).

Besides, illegal versions often have viruses, malware, or spamware attached, and many times do not work properly. Personally, I try to avoid them.

In America it is a crime to produce, sell, purchase, or own cracked software. It is called piracy and if caught, calls for a prison sentence and a very hefty fine (for movies I believe it is $250,000).

Besides, illegal versions often have viruses, malware, or spamware attached, and many times do not work properly. Personally, I try to avoid them.
Formally the law of copyright and piracy is also here in Nepal. But practically it's different condition here. I have fixed few computers of my near police station. There's also copied (activation-key cracked) OS installed. Almost all computer shop have hundreds of DVDs of software for sale and all of these are copied, cracked etc. All DVDs cost same price of $0.5 from paint brush to movie mixing/animating. And all use these source of software. Actually maybe if you searched a genuine copy of Windows 8 DVD, produce by Microsoft, around my country, probably you won't find. I never have seen how it looks like. Till now I just have seen genuine DVD of Kaspersky Antivirus which costs US$1 for an year here.

Last edited:
The nice people at Skype Support confirm that the installation process should NOT request card details. So it looks like Google Play has been got at :(. Beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back