Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A/D freq change

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmeraldW

I have a request to build an a/d converter for a guitar that would change the frequency of the incoming signal by a set amount. I was thinking that a microcontroller might be able to handle this but wanted to get some input.

Here is an example of what he needs:

Guitar pickup to a/d converter -> divide the sampled frequency by 2 and output as a digital signal or back through a d/a converter. The sample rate needs to be as high as possible.

Any thoughts?

I'll check those out. If they will work, might not have to build something however I need to do it for six different inputs and build it into the guitar body.

I'll check those out. If they will work, might not have to build something however I need to do it for six different inputs and build it into the guitar body.

Check out Behringer pedals, they do two Octaver models, both have adjustable outputs one and two octaves lower - the cheaper one is only £20 odd.

Yeah I have pedals that will do it, but for this application each string has its own single coil pickup with its own output. All of the strings will be tuned to a set frequency and then each input will multiply or divide it before it is sent out the output.

View attachment 63331

This adds frequency but can something similar subtract?

Staying on the micro controller subject, if connected to the A/D of a pic, what value would it return in a sample? The datasheet is not real clear at my level of experience with the ad converter.

Last edited:
This adds frequency but can something similar subtract?
That circuit is just a filter it will boost the signal level at certain frequencys but it will not change the frequency.

Staying on the micro controller subject, if connected to the A/D of a pic, what value would it return in a sample? The datasheet is not real clear at my level of experience with the ad converter

It would return a binary number (10 bits) that represents the voltage level of the signal at the instant the sample was taken. Frequency sampleing is not usually done with an ADC.

Last edited:
I'll go back to looking at DSPs then. I've gone through a couple data sheets for them but I can't get my head around how to attack one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back