Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v to 7.2v Voltage Regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo93

I need a voltage regulator from 12v DC to 7.2v DC. My source is a 12v sealed lead acid battery. I need to convert it to work with my 7.2v DC JVC Camcorder. Could I buy one? If so where? If not, how would I go about making one?

What kind of current do you need? An LM317 in an adjustible voltage regulator that should give you 7.2v no problem with a 12v supply and can handle up to 1.5 amps.

You can buy them just about anywhere that sells electronic parts. They are very common. You will also need some resistors to set the voltage at 7.2v

Look up LM317 here:http://www.datasheetcatalog.com to see how one is wired.

You might want to use a potentiometer as opposed to a fixed resistor to set the voltage. This will allow you to get it at exactly 7.2v. You could then either measure its resistance and replace it with a resistor of fixed value, or glue the potentiometer so it dosn't move.

Last edited:
For decent current output (3-5A) and cool running I'd really suggest a switchmode power supply. They sound scary, but the NatSemi range of Simple Switchers(tm, no doubt) need an IC, a schottky diode, an inductor and a capacitor... simple!!

Other switchmode ic's are similar and might have lower drop-out which may be important to you if the 12v is coming from a battery.

P.

Hi Jimbo... sorry for confusing and/or scaring you! LOL

What you need is a power supply designed to run off an automobile battery which will power your camcorder. Your camcorder will have a specification for the DC amps it needs @7.2vdc to run and you should buy a power supply that can deliver that much current.

I know others here will shudder, but if you're in the US then I'd suggest going to Radio Shack with your camcorder so they can help you.

If you're not in the US, then tell us where you are and someone will be able to help (I'm in Australia for instance.)

P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back