Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v DC adapter repair

BoonChai

My AC to 12vDC adapter was blown and after opened the case I found that the coil was blown to pieces by pieces.
Since I don't know what is that coil looks like ....
Is it possible to replace with any coil or need to replace with specific coil?

IMG-0254-e.jpg

IMG-0255-e.jpg

Your help is very much appreciated.

I would say almost certainly that's not the fault - that's just an extra part which has been destroyed by the power supply failing.

The destroyed part is either a fuse, a surge limiter, or both - it's unlikely to have been a coil.

The reservoir capacitor is visibly domed, so almost certainly is faulty, and presumably the large transistor (or IC?) will have gone S/C, and thus blown the fuse/surge limiter. Other parts may have been destroyed as well, such as Q1 and the diodes in the bridge.

It's time to find a reolacement.

Nigel Goodwin , Thanks for your reply.

The destroyed part is either a fuse, a surge limiter, or both - it's unlikely to have been a coil.
Did u mean that the coil has nothing function in the circuit? Without that coil connection the circuit is not complete.
Can I just put the coil from other circuit?
The reservoir capacitor is visibly domed
I did notice and need to replace.

the diodes in the bridge.
That 4 diodes also blown and need to replace.

Replacing cap & 4 diodes will make it work?

Nigel Goodwin , Thanks for your reply.

Did u mean that the coil has nothing function in the circuit? Without that coil connection the circuit is not complete.
Can I just put the coil from other circuit?

It's not likely to be a coil (it would have no function), it's either a fuse, or a surge-limiting resistor, or perhaps a surge-limiting thermistor.

I did notice and need to replace.

That 4 diodes also blown and need to replace.

Replacing cap & 4 diodes will make it work?

No, you need to replace everything that's blown - and it's very likely that at least the transistor is.

It looks like when cap blew its electrolyte leaked around the 4 diodes,
eg stain on left side leads. They may still be OK, just use an ohmmeter
on diode resistance setting or 200 ohm scale to check.

Regards, Dana.

Doesn't the symbol look like an inductor, sir?

It has a look of one, but it wasn't one - no point whatsoever in an inductor being where a fuse (or surge limiter) needs to be. At a 'guess' it was probably a fuse, and they didn't have a suitable PCB symbol for the wired in fuse they were fitting, so just chucked a symbol for an inductor in, as it was the same size.

Repairing this destroyed power supply is very unlikely without any info about the circuit. Toss it and get a new one.

Nigel Goodwin,​

I found the culprit which is Q2, 3 pins of that Q2 is loosing from the board.
And that might cause the blown out.
IMG-0257.jpg

I replaced the cap and 4 diodes, re-solder the Q2.
IMG-0265.jpg

And as you suggested I install the 250v 0.5A fuse. Not enough place at front, so I put it at the back.
IMG-0269.jpg

And guess what, the adapter is working again. :)

It's not likely to be a coil (it would have no function), it's either a fuse, or a surge-limiting resistor, or perhaps a surge-limiting thermistor.
Thanks for your amazing trouble shooting skill.

At a 'guess' it was probably a fuse, and they didn't have a suitable PCB symbol for the wired in fuse they were fitting
Sometime can't trust what they printed on circuit board especially make in china.

Thank you again.
Your help is very much appreciated.
respect.gif

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back