Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12DC Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening
ok, on schematic, whats a rectifier symbol **broken link removed**

Got it **broken link removed**

I am soooooo close to trying program, it's all working on paper **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Same as a diode symbol.

View attachment 60792

Item at top is listed as a DIODE

Item at bottom is listed as a Bridge Rectifier (made up off 4 individual diodes).

It's a matter of accepted terminology.

Generally, whether it's a diode symbol depicting a "diode" or a diode symbol depicting a "rectifier", the function is derived from the diode's context, i.e., where is it in the schematic. Hanging off an input transformer? Probably a rectifier. Hanging between a transistor and a resistor, probably a diode.

And of course, if you're fortunate enough to be able to know the type of diode (its part no.) then you can look it up and the datasheet will define its best usage.

ok, this might sound stupid **broken link removed**
the PNP, we have Emittor/Collector/Base

Which is which on symbol, that stopped me in my tracks **broken link removed**

you already told me posts ago, base is single lead
emittor is with arrow
so other is collector

so for PNP it is collector as arrow

I'm really enjoying this but it's taking an age, don't think I'll get it done tonight as I've prob only done a fifth of it

Last edited:
ok, just to show you how far I've got, I need to walk 'bobby'

up to zenner so far from bottom of board as per back photo **broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I might have diodes wrong way round but I'm sure you'll correct me when I've finished if needs be

This is ace **broken link removed**

that'll teach me to try a trail version **broken link removed****broken link removed**
I can't save it **broken link removed** still, have saved screenshot so should go back together quicker

Last edited:
It's silly o'clock in the morning again & I've just been reading over, seems I missed your post on caps.....sorry & thank you :)
I finally get to find out more measurement values :)
This must have been the best value £8.99 I ever spent.lol & was nice to find extra info while brain was on overtime

In the NAV we used to call any ridiculously early morning hour "Zero-dark-thirty" (like 0300, 3AM).

Anyway, even though I don't use it (I've played with it though), for a pretty decent FREE sim package, try LtSpiceIV:

https://www.linear.com/designtools/software/#LTspice

A lot of the members think very highly of it.

Last edited:
Morning CBB
Will have a nose at that later when on computer, it took a while to get to grips with circuit wizard, well it would really, I have never used anything like this before. But from what I can see, it looks like its doing what I need but then I'm not going to dismiss a free version.
I don't know if I'm better off just learning how to use one program thou?
Any chance I could ask a big favour, could you knock together some kind of circuit that I could copy to try ammeter/voltmeter on this one I am trying, if it does that, I don't mind actually paying
What would you do if you were me?
To be honest I really enjoyed playing :) it is giving me an idea of schematics better

I feel like I've learnt loads so far, thanks to you :)

So how does the biti did look, ok? Or could improvements be made in how I'm placing components?

Last edited:
Morning Graham,

I don't know if I'm better off just learning how to use one program thou?[/QUOTE said:
Only suggested it because apparently a lot of members use it, so you'll have a great resource for help. Like I say, I use a paid app (TINA Basic) and I'm just used to it, is all. Like Word Perfect and Wordstar: Same app concept, utterly different menus.

Here's what I have so far and I am not at all confident that it's accurate. Right off the bat I can see from your schematic that I left out C1: MAJOR miss!!

View attachment 60803

Give a shot and let me know what you think.

CBB

Only suggested it because apparently a lot of members use it, so you'll have a great resource for help. Like I say, I use a paid app (TINA Basic) and I'm just used to it, is all. Like Word Perfect and Wordstar: Same app concept, utterly different menus.

Who am I to argue with experiance, thats why I'm here, will give it a go, but before I download it, please tel me you can save projects on it **broken link removed**

Here's what I have so far and I am not at all confident that it's accurate. Right off the bat I can see from your schematic that I left out C1: MAJOR miss!!

That's why this is good experiance for me, I still struggle to see layout, but there is:
12V + & - input & same for output, the only thing I can see so far **broken link removed**

**broken link removed** I don't think I'm ready for that yet, maybe once I play with it a bit more, but for now will carry on with one I have as test.

ok, I havent had time to check it, was playing with new program but couldn't get my head round it, will go into that later

Look **broken link removed**

I havent checked it but that doesnt matter, this is my first schematic, I dont care if it dont work **broken link removed**

I will check it over but here we are

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Graham,

In the pic below, what actually connects to the circuit points marked " + " and " - " "inputs"? I mean, I don't see any wires, soldering points, nothin'

View attachment 60814

Thanks.

CBB:

To me, using X-ray vision, of course) the bottom two COULD be plugged into the breadboard. Note it's on an angle. The power cord LOOKS like it's attached to the upper portion of the board. This the labels look wrong.

I do suspect my crystal ball and x-ray vision to be faulty though. They don't work 100% of the time.

Well, that was my first schematic, it's a good job I didn't mind if I had it right or not.lol

CBB the two black wires go into the actual ciggy plug (power in.......sorry)
The two wires I marked as input are output, the lead to device, one of the first things I removed when breaking plug apart to see what was inside, as I said, it was born to die.lol

Well spotted both, your crystal ball seems to be working KISS :)

Sorry reply was so long, just spent best part of two hours rescuing workmate out of snow, first of year, it's a pain but doesn't it always look beautiful.lol

Last edited:
So does that mean I got the diodes the right way around
*damn, can't get whistly smiley on phone*

Any other obvious mistakes before I check it tomorrow?

CBB, see photo on page 13
Remember me taking extra photo so you could see choke, see photo where it still has rubber sleeve on
Gnd hole on right above lower cap. + hole below led on bottom left
Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Ok, need to call it a night for today, have fun playing with it CBB cause you know by now that this is going to mean more questions.lol

I'll double check everything tomorrow, was also wondering about 221, that yellow pancake thing & you missing cap, that is a cap isn't it?? Got me wondering now......:)
Goodnight all
Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back