Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1 watt audio amplifier and

Status
Not open for further replies.

p88prw

hey guys was just wondering if anyone could give me some ideas for what a 1 watt audio amplifier could be used for, thanks

You could use it in your doorbell. Put some ACDC on a chip then play it when someone rings. You could try the song Hells Bells :)

Last edited:
A signal tracer probe as illustrated **broken link removed** could be connected to it to make a nice small and simple signal tracer. There are plenty of uses for a small 1 watt audio range amplifier.

Ron

would this amplifier be able to run 2 small speakers, if so what would i have to do to get it to work?

would this amplifier be able to run 2 small speakers, if so what would i have to do to get it to work?

Now it depends on the speakers (impedance) and what this small 1 watt amplifier is designed to work into as far as speaker impedance. If it was designed to feed a small 8 Ohm speaker then it should drive two small 4 Ohm speakers in series. Exactly what are you trying to do as in where is this all going? You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Ron

Last edited:
i was wanting to connect the amp to two small 20 watt 4 ohm speakers and then into a computer

this is the amplifier i have ---> **broken link removed**

sorry if i have been vage but i am quite new to this

thanks

I don't think the little amp is designed to provide line in levels to a computer. Additionally it would only be monaural and not stereo (two channels). A computer's audio inputs want to see standardized line in signals. I also doubt you will get much from a pair of 4 Ohm 20 watt speakers.

This read may help you better understand what a computer's audio Line IN and Line Out are all about.

Just My Take
Ron

Last edited:
ok then, thanks, do you no if it would it be possible to run it from an ipod shuffle to a single speaker?

al give that link a read thanks

ok then, thanks, do you no if it would it be possible to run it from an ipod shuffle to a single speaker?

al give that link a read thanks

Taken from their data sheet:

Q- Could this be used to boost an i-Pod headphone output to a line level input (line level input requires 1000mV) ? - shakey

Answer- No sorry this product does not support that.

Nope, again you need to remember this is just a very small monaural single chip amplifier.

Ron

ok then thanks ron,

someone mentioned above about useing it with a door bell how would that work?

Antknee mentioned the doorbell idea. That idea has a few possibles and a downside or two. I have no clue how much power the thing draws in a quiescent state but a doorbell scheme would likely require batteries so battery life figures into things. Unless of course it is line powered with a small power supply.

As to the signal? Just about anything would work. You could likely buy a greeting card and play it back through the amplifier or buy a small chip that you can record your own 20 second message on and play it back. The possibilities are really endless so get creative. :)

Ron

How about attaching a recorded chip and vibration sensor to it and putting it on your letterbox. Then whenever the postman delivers your mail you could set it to say "Thanks!"

The "1W" amplifier from Maplin uses the LM386 little power amplifier IC. It cannot produce an output of 1 Watt unless the output is an extremely distorted square-wave.
Its output at clipping into an 8 ohm speaker with a 4V supply is only 0.06W, with a 6V supply its output is only 0.2W, with a 9V supply its output is only 0.45W and with a 12V supply it gets very hot and has an output of only 0.53W.

Driving a load of 4 ohms or 16 ohms results in less output power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back