Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ZIF Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yongleloo

I'm trying to locate some ZIF sockets - don't get me wrong, I have found heaps through Google and eBay - and besides the cheap eBay take-off versions, I can't find any at reasonable prices

Any help?

That's because they are made in small volumes and are generally quite expensive.

I've bought some off eBay and they were alright. I didn't choose the cheapest supplier, just one that lives in the UK.

I stumbled across a ZIF supplier who sells 3M ZIF sockets at a reasonable price. got them when they were on special, but now they are back to normal, but the prices are still damn good;

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

They also sell a **broken link removed** for under $20 - now that is almost unheard of!

That's a good deal!

They do seem chaper than one of my suppliers for things like LEDs and semiconductors but they don't stock a great range and they are more expensive for speakers and piezo buzzers.

A small speaker: $1.55 at Core, $0.99 at Rapid
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

A piezo buzzer: $4.07 at Core, $2.77 at Rapid
**broken link removed**

Exchange rate, at the time of posting: £1.979/$.

The moral of the story is, just because one or two products are very cheap from one supplier, it doesn't mean they're cheapre than another supplier.

Also I don't know whether it's worth paying for shipping - it's probably only worth it for large orders or items which are very cheap at Core compared to local suppliers.

Those cheap ones are Chinese copies of the decent 3M ones, they work fine but are very sloppy workmanship compared to the real thing. For hobby use they're just fine.

That's true, even at surplus prices 1/20th of the price does sound too good.

Those cheap ones are Chinese copies of the decent 3M ones, they work fine but are very sloppy workmanship compared to the real thing. For hobby use they're just fine.

You are correct I purchased Chinese 3M Zockets, each were 0.5US$ (18pin) & 1.2US$ (40 pin).

After 1 week they seems to get corroded the (metal parts) & the arm gets very loosy & the lock is very loosy too so the IC cannot hold tightly.

It is hard to find a good zif suppliers these days.
We bought some 3M ZIF with gold plating from digikey, it seems all of those have very poor assembly quality. Plus the price is high. Not recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back