Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sockets for QFN package chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikt0

I've sampled a few MMA7620 accelerometers from Freescale, but unfortunately, they only come in a QFN package and I don't have any reflow or precision soldering equipment. I've found a few vendors who sell prototyping sockets for QFP, BGA, etc chips, but the one or two QFN sockets I've found are VERY expensive ($90 and up).

I'm just wondering if there exists a line of cheap sockets or QFN to DIP converter hardware anywhere out there.

I'd be surprised. They are expensive for a reason. Why is the default assumtion that, people who make what you need are somehow ripping you off? Where does nonsense like this come from?

Looks like the 16 pin QFN PLCC package that that chip uses is quite rare.

If it had been a 20 pin type, you could have got an adapter fairly cheap from such as Futurlec.

The gung-ho approach is to do a "dead-bug" style setup. Get a 16 pin socket, epoxy the part upside down on top of the socket, and do some real painful work with some fine wire scavanged from some stranded cable. Then test it, and seal the thing in epoxy so that it doesn't break....

First of all, I never accused anyone of trying to rip me off, and secondly, I haven't actually found anyone who makes what I need, hence my post here on this forum. I figure the fabrication costs of a high precision, low noise ZIF socket for a QFN chip are probably quite high and demand probably isn't high enough to justify large production runs that would bring the unit price down. If you're an engineer working on a high frequency, noise sensitive circuit or you need to test/burn/etc dozens of chips, I'm sure that they're necessary and the price is justified. I'm just asking if there are any cheaper quick and dirty alternatives that would better fit the budget of a college student who wants to hook an accelerometer up to a PIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back