Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Z-wave products - question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

Hello,

I read about energy-saving products that use Z-wave communication to remotely control the power of appliances which support such wireless communication.

I just started learning about Z-wave (Wikipedia has a nice article about it), and wanted to ask you guys some questions please.

Is it common that power sockets and appliances support Z-wave technology?

A socket which supports Z-wave technology, has a relay and a dimmer inside it which are controlled by Z-wave commands?

I'm new to this territory, so please forgive me for such basics questions.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Z-wave is just a trademark for a proprietary wireless networking protocol; there's nothing special about it.

Will it be successful?

Who knows?

It is a copy of a wireless remote control system that was used 30 years ago.
I never saw the old one and I never heard about this one. It is not needed.

Hey, thanks for the info.

Currently i just wanted to know how that stuff works.

I read that they can control power sockets, and appliances such as air-conditioners, PCs, home cinema systems, etc.

Therefore, my question is, do such controllable sockets and appliances contain relays and dimmers that are controlled by Z-wave commands?

Btw Hero, you got 11,111 posts ;)

Last edited:
Try looking up X10, there's plenty of info on that, and it's by far the most popular system.

Like AG said though, it's basically failed technology from back in the 70's - back then it was going to be huge, but it fizzled out, and eventually decades later became slightly popular with X10.

Hey,

I'll surely read more about it.
I just wanted to know from people's knowledge and experience if such controllabe sockets and appliances which i mentioned above contain relays and dimmers which are controlled by Z-wave commands.

Last edited:
Z-wave is RF not powerline.

IMO powerline for mains powered devices will be the preffered method, the ICs already exist and are very cheap ~$3 in quantity.

RF like z-wave will be great for portable devices or devices with remotes.

I think one of its problems is that it's a proprietary product so designers will be put off using it because they don't want to pay licence fees.

Hey,
Thanks again for the info.

I'm not sure then, how are power sockets and appliances controlled by Z-wave commands?

Last edited:
Is it common that power sockets and appliances support Z-wave technology?

No, it's uncommon at the moment, that could change but who knows.

A socket which supports Z-wave technology, has a relay and a dimmer inside it which are controlled by Z-wave commands?

Probably or more likely a TRIAC.

Z-Wave is just another wireless protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back