Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Your favourite kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ambient said:
I have not seen the older heatkits, I am still a newbie of 7 years.

Heathkit was truely amazing!.

They were designed for complete beginners, with exact step by step instructions, with pictures, and 'tick boxes' to mark when you had completed each stage. They even came with a small PCB and a few extra components so you could practice soldering before starting the kit.

I only ever made one, they were VERY expensive - it was for a customer at work, he ordered a Stereo FM receiver kit, and then bottled out of building it. So he bought it in to work and paid me to build it for him. It was an entirely discrete design (pre-dated IC's), including the multiplex decoder. The clever design, and excellent instructions, meant you could align it with almost no test equipment.

I'd love to find an un-built Heathkit to make!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Heathkit was truely amazing!.

I'd love to find an un-built Heathkit to make!.

Your not alone. Have you seen what some of the un-built kits go for on ebay:eek:

I could only find one unbuilt kit (at least with USA ebay). But there are plenty of used kits in the $20USD to $40 range.

I used to love reading through the Heathkit catalogue, dreaming of what I couldn't possibly afford! :(

Does everyone (old enough) remember the stereo record player with the fold down deck?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back