Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Yet another about Stun Guns...

Status
Not open for further replies.
stung gun schematic question

so where can i get diodes from? Radioshack?
and what are they commonly called?
and what does 104,103 mean?
and what does LT44 mean?
is there a location for all my parts?
has anyone tested this thing on themselves?
any answers would be appreciated thanks!
luke

another question about diodes

i found a diode called
3 A BARREL DIODES : Type: 1N5400. 50 PIV.
will this work or is smaller better?
maybe the 1N4004 what do you say will it work or do i gotta keep looking?
thanks
p.s. i test all my stun guns on myself so we'll find out, if its 8amp or 8 micro amps, soon enough!
luke

wow, that was a nasty posting :lol:

I hate to beat a dead, mangled horse but . . .

I don't have any equations or anything, but isnt it possible that the 8 amps could be provided for only .00001 seconds or something like that?

I'm probably wrong but ah well, I tried :lol:

This the funniest thread I've seen in awhile. Not only are your batteries not rated for currents on the magnitude you're expecting, neither is the switching transistor, transformer, diodes, or cap.

A 30kV cap can discharge with substantial current, but without substantial capacitance, no it won't kill you because the pulse is too short.

Is there any chance we're talking to Troy Hurtubise of "Project Grizzly" fame? I love that guy...
https://www.nfb.ca/grizzly/

What is the attaction of experimenters to build stun guns on the level where it's more likely to kill someone than stun them? And usually the modifications make it less prone to cause the incapacitating muscle contractions to get a "stunning" effect at all.

Oznog said:
Is there any chance we're talking to Troy Hurtubise of "Project Grizzly" fame?

A website that contains some glaring typo errors of it's own

Troy Hurtubise said:
Testing on suit

6 Escarpment: Jumped off escarpment, falling over 15.25 meters (150 Feet)

I had to look twice when I read it the first time.

Anyhow , issues of sanity and ethics aside...
(spins the tumblers of the locked cabinet and gently blows the dust off some old links )

Electrolux Death Ray >
"The Rolls-Royce of atomic weapons?" Maybe. Take a look at Greg Brotherton's Electrolux Death Ray, and decide for yourself. Powerful? Equipped with a genoseismic vibratofile nozzle, this is the "finger of God"
http://www.brotron.com/film.html#

and here is the ass kicking big toe..
The thirty shot taser, range 35ft , sadly far from portable.
**broken link removed**

Surprised Troy has not had a word with the boffins at DARPA yet
**broken link removed**
That suit just cries out for some servo ehanced strength.

hello?

im just gonna take a shot in the dark but, has anyone in this forum ever made their own stun gun? if so why dont they test it on themselves? or at least hook it up to a multimeter?

it sounds like no one here can give any good advice on building this stun gun. to busy making jokes or arguing. where can i get the parts i need?
luke

Re: hello?

brimby said:
im just gonna take a shot in the dark but, has anyone in this forum ever made their own stun gun? if so why dont they test it on themselves? or at least hook it up to a multimeter?

it sounds like no one here can give any good advice on building this stun gun. to busy making jokes or arguing. where can i get the parts i need?
luke

Most people on here are too mature to want to build a 'stun gun', it's usually a 'little kid' thing.

We don't need to build and measure one, by knowing exactly how it works, and having a vague understanding of the laws of physics, we can have a good idea of it's output potential.

There are hundreds of circuits on the net, and the components are freely available - or, if you are in a country where they are not illegal, you could simply buy one at low cost.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Most people on here are too mature to want to build a 'stun gun', it's usually a 'little kid' thing.

Some of us have had real electric shocks in our working lives, some of them due to stupidity, lack of experience or faulty equipment and have no interest whatsoever in subjecting ourselves to assorted electric shocks just for the fun of it.

Many years ago (40+) I had a "shocking coil" which I made from an old audio output transformer and a 1.5 volt cell. This was good fun amongst 13/14 year old boys, it would deliver a single short duration pulse of a few hundred volts, IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO STUN ANYBODY, and before you ask, yes I tested it on myself first.
It was fun for a few weeks then I grew up a bit and moved on.

JimB

brimby said:
why dont they test it on themselves? or at least hook it up to a multimeter?

Starter for ten , your run of the mill meter is not up to the job without first building an external shunt, tasers operate in the KV range , thats shorthand for THOUSANDS of volts, otherwise the tasers first victim will be your multimeter. Now every year brave souls do volunteer as subjects for these devices, though few return to have another go. Aside from the disruption to central nervous system they can cause deep burns in the soft tissue. Like JimB I speak from personal experience here, after taking a 25kv hit from a tv as part of a workshop prank.It's not something I would urge anybody to try!

With the proper care and precautions you can have great fun with high voltages, however it is an unforgiving animal if it gets loose, it will bite.
I've tried my hand at both tasers and small coilguns over the years, not quite on the same scale as young Sam Barros over at the Powerlabs website , oh well, maybe one day perhaps lol

Emotions run high when a newcomer asks for what is basically the keys to a veritable gun rack of advanced projects and then begins to argue about basic theory. After all if everthing on the web was accurate and true then Elvis is still alive, the aliens are here and RadioShack is the best place to buy your parts :lol:

luke

I have Designed and built Many Stun Guns, Some Well over 100,000 Volts. There are Plans for Two Simple ones are Posted on my Website.

As to Parts, Some parts are off the Shelf, But the Output Transformer Must be Home Made. You Can't Buy it.

**broken link removed**

In the Near Future I will be able to supply the Ferrite for these, But other than that I wil NOT Supply More info. These are DANGEROUS Devices and I will Not be Responsible for people Acting Stupid. As is Your Statement Above.

Take care.........Gary

dangerous

ok, gary i dont mean to sound stupid and unsafe but i do expect people to do more than just talk. if you want to live life to its fullest you got to do what you say, money where your mouth is you know. anyway i couldn't access your site and but i wopuldlike to. i dont plan to be careless and go around zapping people. in fact the stun gun design is just part of some experiments im doing and my interest goes far beyond that. also if current is the killer when dealing with electricity, then a high voltage low current circuit should be safe though startling.

i want to learn from anyone who has a knowledge the are willing to share. for example i went to a year of college for electronics and my instructor built a stun gun for person who is in a high risk enviroment for rattlesnakes. you see a stun gun can nuetralize a rattlesnake's venom, so you see a stun gun can save a life.

anyway, please feel free to offer advise on the stun gun construction!
luke

you see a stun gun can nuetralize a rattlesnake's venom, so you see a stun gun can save a life.

You mean you shock yourself wherever a snake bit you and you won't die from the venom? thats a handy bit of info. Will that work with other snakes?

Re: dangerous

brimby said:
you see a stun gun can nuetralize a rattlesnake's venom

I BELIEVE THIS IS NOT TRUE

snake bite

well, thats what my instructor told me and he didnt seem the kind to make stun guns without hesitation and good perpose. any again you gotta test it to find out. i dont know if its true, because ive never done it. but i believe 'Stan' was an telling the truth and was an honest guy. he didnt say if it worked on all snakebites. anyway this is supposed to be a sharing of information to better each other and i wouldnt post or want to read a post that wasnt true.

anyway who here can teach me something?
luke

Hi Brimby, I Can't Believe that part about the Rattlesnakes either.

As to the Link I posted, I also posted a Coorected Link that does work.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correction on Link.

**broken link removed**

question

hi, i did access your site gary and it was nice but un helpful to me. i notice that stun gun designs come in two forms: transistors or the 555 timer. i am trying to build one using the 555 timer design. so aside from direct advice i cannot benefit from you site. sorry!

also the snakebite thing is simple as everything in life. if you want to know whether on not its true, and if youve got time on your hands, research it! and if you cant find research or the research seems unconclusive then all you've got left to do is test it.

there is an x on the transformer for this stun gun design, does it mean that it must be tied down? and what does x100 mean?

luke

x100 means simply times one hundred eg: 2x100=200

The medical literature is full of experimental and controversial therapies for the BR spider bite. It is generally agreed that uncomplicated localized cutaneous arachnidism only requires conservative management, consisting of good wound care. Experimental trials with local electric shock therapy can even be found in the literature.

Clinically, the diagnosis of a BR spider bite if usually presumptive and retrospective since the spider is rarely recovered intact. Fortunately, the venom of the Loxosceles reclusa usually causes a trivial and painless lesion, which heals spontaneously with meticulous wound hygiene. But progression of the minimal lesion to a deep, painful, necrotic ulcer requiring surgery is not uncommon. The scientific literature is filled with experimental therapeutic modalities for treating Loxosceles envenomation. Most such experiment trials are animal-models and have yielded conflicting and controversial results
(Massachusetts Toxicology Review, apologies if spelt masachusets wrong lol)

The effect of an electrical current on snake venom toxicity
under controlled conditions...
An electric current (twenty 11 A, 7000 V spikes s^(-1) for 90 s) from a commercial stun gun was applied directly to a rattlesnake venom solution in an electrolysis cell with 2 electrode compartments and a central compartment, in order to evaluate the effect that high voltage electroshock might have on the lethality of the venom. The venom was electroshocked for 18 times longer than recommended by stun gun manufacturers. There was no measurable inactivation of the venom using LD50 determinations in mice.

A venom sample was electrolyzed at a voltage lower than that from the stun gun, but with 4–5 times the total charge delivered from the stun gun. This inactivated the venom at the electrodes, but not within the central compartment, demonstrating that there was no direct effect of the electric field on the activity of the snake venom.

(Journal of Wilderness Medicine: Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 48–53)
Test Conducted by the following>

Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Surgery, Section of Surgical Sciences, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA

Department of Veterinary Science and Toxicology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA

Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA

Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Surgery, Section of Surgical Sciences, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA

Of course what happens in a lab under controlled conditions is oftern a far cry from what occurs in real life and would like to see the results of the above test repeated using a live tissue sample rather than venom in solution. So I remain unconvinced as yet but receptive to new developments .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back