Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Yet another about Stun Guns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

grrr_arrghh

Hi

Someone posted the diag below a while ago, I have two quick questions.

1) I assume that the markings on the caps are the numbers that would actually be printed on them (104 = 100nF etc)?

2) The caps on the output stage are marked 1032/1KV - what does this mean?

3) If I built the device as per the diagram, but without the extra caps/diodes (indicated by the "x100"), what would the output be like? (I assume it wouldn't be as much as 30KV)

4) Could I replace the 1N4005 and 1N4007 with 1N4001?

5) I can't find any TIP31, so would a TIP31C do the same? (there can't be much difference)

Ok, that was four questions, maybe five, but anyway.

Thanks

Tim

Attachments

• stun_gun1_177.gif
    stun_gun1_177.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 2,356
1)Yes
2)On the output stage need 10nF 1000V condensers.
3)You can omit few cascading stages for smaller output voltage.
4)No, in output stage need 1N4007 (1200V) diode. The 4001 only 200V.
5)TIP31C is better as TIP31 (C mean 100V Uce)

Ok, thanks

Errmm, what is a condenser? or can i just use a 10nF cap with a voltage rating of 1000V? either way, does anyone know where i can buy them? (in the UK)

If i only put the 5 cascading stages that are actually shown on the diagram - you say the voltage would be less - any idea of a number?

Thanks again

Tim

caps

:D hi,

the term "condenser" is the old way which we commonly now call capacitor :D

Re: caps

mozikluv said:
:D hi,

the term "condenser" is the old way which we commonly now call capacitor :D

Yes, it changed back in the 1960's or so - but the motor trade continued to use it for many years for the capacitor across the points in a car.

ok, thanks guys

Nigel, you're in the UK - where can I get 1000V 10nF caps? (the 1000V being the difficult bit)

Thanks again

Tim

grrr_arrghh said:
ok, thanks guys

Nigel, you're in the UK - where can I get 1000V 10nF caps? (the 1000V being the difficult bit)

You should be able to get them from any of the major component suppliers, RS Components, Farnell, CPC, SEME, CHS - there are plenty of places to try.

oh

isnt 8 amps rather alot of current when the voltage is at many KVolts?i mean isnt that death type of current?

Re: oh

smack_whore said:
isnt 8 amps rather alot of current when the voltage is at many KVolts?i mean isnt that death type of current?

yeah, you're damn right, @ 30000V/8Amp that must be a power about 240kW, that is maybe a little bit too much for a battery. Maybe the caps can store so much power for 0.0001 sec or so...
st.

Schematic

Actually nigel no Its not because if you go to google and click on images then type in Stun gun Schematics then click on repeat the search with omitted results included it will come up. And it does show 30kv/8amps at the output of the stun gun! And yes that is very lethal. Which in some cases is good. Like I live in washington state and love being in the outdoors if I get attacked by an animal and have that stun gun I can fry that animal when its trying to maul me! And believe me pepper spray doesn't deter black bears or for those of us who tend to go on hunts in Alaska the more dangerous kodiak bears or grizzly bears!

Where can one buy those miniturized step-up transformers like they use in the **broken link removed**? I've tried a number of places like Newark already, but they don't seem to sell taser-type equipment.

Re: Schematic

Painandsuffering said:
Actually nigel no Its not because if you go to google and click on images then type in Stun gun Schematics then click on repeat the search with omitted results included it will come up. And it does show 30kv/8amps at the output of the stun gun! And yes that is very lethal. Which in some cases is good. Like I live in washington state and love being in the outdoors if I get attacked by an animal and have that stun gun I can fry that animal when its trying to maul me! And believe me pepper spray doesn't deter black bears or for those of us who tend to go on hunts in Alaska the more dangerous kodiak bears or grizzly bears!

I suspect Nigel is being more then polite. I won't be.
If you don't recognize the kind of power your talking about then I will endeavor to enlighten You.
First off you cannot provide any energy from a system that is larger then the source of the power available.In other words no system can output more then is it's source . Even a system that is %100 efficient, which has not been realized in nature .

Look up the laws of thermodynamics.
Secondly You don't seem to have a grasp of transformer basics..and it IS basic . The rules are half the voltage, double the current. Conversely double the voltage half the current..so if your input is 9V @ 1 A, a 1 to 2 transformer will output 18V @ .5A and on and on, so when you get to 12KV there is almost no current.

I think you should research more before arguing with a person who knows their field

tilleun your funny!

Actually I do have a basic grasp and much more for the transformer and in actuallity your wrong. If you use a step up transformer in this the voltage will go up and according to ohms law voltage and current and proportional to one another so go back and read a bit and maybe you'll get to the level of electronics the rest of us are at. I am saying this and it may seem mean but thats only because what you said was condiscending and rude!

I didn't mean to sound condescending just rude as I said in my opening statement.
Actually resistors ( not being a reactive component) behave roughly the same under AC/DC. If the discussion is about the behavior of transformers, Faraday's law and Maxwell's equations happen to be more relevant. I'm not sure if your studies have progressed that far.

Before You embarrass Yourself further , re-read my previous post and take a copy of our respective posts and give them to the nearest Prof and appeal to authority.

TillEulenspiegel said:
I didn't mean to sound condescending just rude as I said in my opening statement.
Actually resistors ( not being a reactive component) behave roughly the same under AC/DC. If the discussion is about the behavior of transformers, Faraday's law and Maxwell's equations happen to be more relevant. I'm not sure if your studies have progressed that far.

Before You embarrass Yourself further , re-read my previous post and take a copy of our respective posts and give them to the nearest Prof and appeal to authority.
To inform you I'm in Bjt's right now in my college which is about 4 or 5 chapters past Transformers and I got a 90% on my test for transformers so I'm afraid your wrong. And your rudeness is not needed so go play or cry to mommy or whatever little kid ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back