Xtals? How do u use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grrr_arrghh

Hi

i really need some simple diagrams of how to use Xtals to feed accurate pulses into 4017s etc. i can't find any on the net. Can any one help?

I am quite new to electronics, but i can follow a circuit diagram!

Thanks

Tim

Here is a few circuits: the first is very simple, the second for not too good Xtals (e.g. cheap 32768kHz clock Xtal), the third (i think You need a low freq. pulses) in-built oscillator section of CD4060 binary divider.

Attachments

• Xtalosc.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 320
Thanks, Sebi, I bought some clock crystals and could not get them to oscillate. I am going to try your circuit.

i have some 10, 16 and 18 MHz crystals, made by Sunny and RS - are these considered cheap? which of the first two circuits would you recomend?

also - would i just connect the 'out' to the input of say a 4017 or a 4026?

thanks for the help

Tim

What is Your project? The 4017 can work only up to 5MHz. If You relly want to build an oscillator as clock generator, need a couple of divider IC-s from HC serie. The HC 4060 can work up to 24MHz.

at the mo i am trying to build one of these shot glass timers, so it only needs to run at 100Hz.. (using a 4026 IC cascaded)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…