Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xtals? How do u use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grrr_arrghh

Hi

i really need some simple diagrams of how to use Xtals to feed accurate pulses into 4017s etc. i can't find any on the net. Can any one help?

I am quite new to electronics, but i can follow a circuit diagram!

Thanks

Tim

Here is a few circuits: the first is very simple, the second for not too good Xtals (e.g. cheap 32768kHz clock Xtal), the third (i think You need a low freq. pulses) in-built oscillator section of CD4060 binary divider.

Attachments

• Xtalosc.GIF
    Xtalosc.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 313
i have some 10, 16 and 18 MHz crystals, made by Sunny and RS - are these considered cheap? which of the first two circuits would you recomend?

also - would i just connect the 'out' to the input of say a 4017 or a 4026?

thanks for the help

Tim

What is Your project? The 4017 can work only up to 5MHz. If You relly want to build an oscillator as clock generator, need a couple of divider IC-s from HC serie. The HC 4060 can work up to 24MHz.

at the mo i am trying to build one of these shot glass timers, so it only needs to run at 100Hz.. (using a 4026 IC cascaded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back