Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

XML for RSS Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

I am trying to create a RSS feed for a website (never did it before). I download RSS creation software from Create RSS Feeds, Edit and Publish News Feeds with Software
I ran the software and created a test feed and saved it, the saved file was in XML format, but the web server we are using does not support XML, is there any workaround for this? Can I convert XML to javascript?

Hi Mike,

Your web server does not support XML? No offense but either you desperately need another server or something is not set up right. Something is seriously broken here.

What server are you using?

Regards,

Torben

Hi Mike,

Your web server does not support XML? No offense but either you desperately need another server or something is not set up right. Something is seriously broken here.

What server are you using?

Regards,

Torben

My boss picked the server. We are using Go Daddy Website tonight. It is for non HTML users, has templates and buttons to insert stuff. We can enter HTML but not required. I been racking my brain trying to figure out how to put an RSS feed. We want this for marketing and I discovered javascrip are not read by search engines. Not sure how to proceed.

Last edited:
My boss picked the server. We are using Go Daddy Website tonight. It is for non HTML users, has templates and buttons to insert stuff. We can enter HTML but not required. I been racking my brain trying to figure out how to put an RSS feed. We want this for marketing and I discovered javascrip are not read by search engines. Not sure how to proceed.

I'm afraid I don't know much about GoDaddy--I mostly work directly with actual servers and not with hosted services such as that. Unfortunately, while such services do make basic things easier if you don't really want to get down and dirty, they take a lot of control out of your hands.

You said your boss picked it, which implies that it's for some sort of corporate site. I wouldn't even start to recommend something like GoDaddy for that kind of thing. While it may save a buck in the short term, it's definitely on the cheap-and-cheerful side. If you want to have control, sadly, the best (and most cost-efficient in the long term even if it hurts up front) idea is to hire someone who knows what they're doing to run the web end of things.

With that said, I certainly mean no disrespect. But. . ."doesn't support XML" raises some serious red flags. XML is a basic format and the server itself shouldn't care unless it's been specifically configured to block it. XML is just text like anything else. I'd need to see the actual error messages you're encountering in order to offer sane advice, but check the headers which are being sent. That could be the problem. Again, sadly, I have no experience with GoDaddy and would usually just serve RSS up from Apache with no problem.

If you want to PM or email me with details I can take a look at your configuration and see what's up. What's your timeframe like?

Regards,

Torben

Thanks Torben, currently we made our bed now we must sleep in it sort of thing. Go Daddy was my bosses choice, and I think it was a good one as we wanted to get a site up quickly. We were able to create the site in under two weeks. We are working with what we have for the moment. A web developer is working on hosting our site, and the current site is just a bridge to get the word out before the official site is launched. Our current plan with Go Daddy does not support XML support, but for more money we can upgrade, decesion was made to scrap the RSS Feed for now and wait until we get our blogging page setup which does support RSS. I dunno seems silly that Go daddy does not support XML, but current page only has a year lifespan and then our real site will launch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back