Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xbox running off 12VDC Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

veryhotsausage

Hi

I've been wanting to plug my xbox into my car for a long time now, but I don't wish to spend the 300$AUD on an invertor. Is there anyway that I can build a power supply for my xbox to run just off the car battery?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

You can make a DC to DC power supply for your Xbox. The complexity depends on what type of power supply setup is used originally:

1. If the power supply is straight from the AC source, and does not actually plug into the Xbox unit, then we have a complicated issue on hand because you're probably going to have to open the unit, and find where the AC supply is transformed and regulated to DC. From that point, you'll need to find the voltage and amperage of the source. After this, you can create a power supply to convert 12VDC to whatever the values are. I'm not sure all of this is worth it, because of having to open the unit and mess around inside. The potential to screw something up is pretty good.

2. If the power supply plugs into the Xbox unit, you're in luck becuase of the simplicity with creating a DC - DC power supply. The wall unit (the thing that plugs into the Xbox from the wall) should have a UL listing on it, which includes the ratings for that power supply. The UL listing should read somewhere along these lines:
Input 120VAC 60 HZ
Output 9VDC 1600mA

The output figures will describe to you that we need to convert from 12VDC to 9VDC 1600mA (or whatever your unit output figures are).

Then, find and create a REGULATED power supply to fit these figures.

If you make your own power supply (or you buy one already made) just be aware that during boot up, the XBox needs 500 watts for a short time. How short a time, I'm not certain, but it needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back