Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xbee or other wireless communication methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssylee

I'm trying to have a small robot car sending data about its position relative to a reference point in real-time. While I know Xbee can be used for wireless data transfer between two transceivers, I'm not sure about the following:

a) how well XBee chips handle distances that are close to the limit (100 m for Xbee, 1 mile = 1.60 km for Xbee Pro), as the power usually drops off as a 1/r^2 relationship?
b) whether the signal strength received is proportional to the distance
c) how the propagated waves carrying the signals generated by the transceivers are propagating through/around a wall corner that the car would encounter during the course?

Are there other wireless communication similar to Xbee that would allow me to determine real-time position of an object? Thanks in advance.

I am also thinking of putting a Xbee repeater somewhere in the path to ensure the signal is strong enough to be received properly. I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

Are there other wireless communication similar to Xbee that would allow me to determine real-time position of an object? Thanks in advance.
You cannot determine position based on a single signal strength. Best bet is to have xbee transmit GPS info.

b) whether the signal strength received is proportional to the distance

One would think so but, No

Last edited:
Aren't GPS chips usually very expensive? or do you have any recommendations for affordable chips that I can use?

One would think so but, No
In my opinion the answer should be yes , however many factors influence this .
What frequency, what influences are in the locality. How good is the measuring equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back