Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

xbee connecting via coax instead of wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigman

This may sound like a strange question but would it be viable / possible to connect modules in a "daisy chain" style setup over a distance using coax cable instead of wireless between Xbee S1 802.15.4 units? As the unit takes care of the channels and receiving / sending, collision , etc.

Cheers

xbee is meant for RF transmission and there is a communication layer in the protocol. Its might be possible, but there are other good techs such as TWI/I2C , CAN, TCP/IP etc available for it so why bother to adapt it?

magvitron, Thanks for your reply. I would adapt it because I already use it in a few projects and I had a thought about daisy chaining S1 xbee's over longer distances using quad shield coax and the antenna connection of each. I like the huge number of addresses you can allocate and use plus my code already utilises this addressing functionality. Would it work robustly if I just hooked all the SMA ports up over coax? would I need some sort of device in between each xbee and the "daisy chain"?

I am communicating Serial over long distances with many "nodes" that all talk to a master, failing xbee what would you recommend that would use Coax as it's means of delivery?

You can also use 10-base-T. Has many addresses.
Have you looked at 900mhz xbee. It travels a long distance, with out coax.

You will have trouble with feeding TX of one xbee to RX of another xbee, the RX expects signals say at around -60 to -100dB, while the TX will be around -20dB or more. I doubt that the RX circuitry will be able to cope with such high input level.

misterT, interesting. I remember having to ad an attenuator to a connection once when I was doing IT as the G703 link(I think it was a G703) was too strong, close to the exchange...

If this was the case, would I be able to configure some sort of cabled xbee setup with a attenuator between each XBEE and the "network". See the attached. This is exactly what I am trying to achieve, if this would work what would the attenuator need to be ?

IMAGE - Purple line indicates a Quad Shield Coaxial Cable

Attachments

• attenuator-xbee-diagram.jpg
    attenuator-xbee-diagram.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 269
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back