Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wrong polarity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuggerv8

i've just bought a small amplifier for my classic car from ebay. the power plug would fit either correctly or wrong thus putting 12 volts into the ground lead. how can i fix this? is it just change a resistor or more complicated? i need to take it apart so i'll be able to post a picture of the board soon, but some assistance would be great please, mark

Hi Mark

This is one of those things where a picture or two is worth a thousand words. I can tell you if it is a matter of polarity on a plug I don't see a resistor as a solution. A few pictures well narated and I am sure this can be resolved for you.

Ron

If the amp can tolerate a diode voltage drop (≈0.7V for a standard diode, ≈0.5V for a Schottky diode), then a diode in series with one of the power leads with prevent any damage from reverse polarity being applied.

i opened it up and immediatly saw the problem. there is a spare eathing wire that when earthed it made the unit work! a quick bit of solder and i'll be cruising again.
thanks for your help and prompt responces, mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back