Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help resistor blew loud pop when hooking up battery wrong

beardedturkey

It's the jr1630 rx 12v board I put an arrow for where it blew. Is there a replacement? Or should I buy a new board
20230709_124252.jpg
Screenshot_20230709_123413_Messenger~2.jpg

It's not a resistor, it's an electrolytic capacitor - easily replaced if you can find the top of it, with the value printed on it. The replacement MUST be fitted the correct way round, or it will blow again.

A lot depends though if you've damaged anything else though.

It's not a resistor, it's an electrolytic capacitor -
It's not an electrolytic capacitor, well not any more. It WAS an electrolytic capacitor.

The band on the replacement capacitor will be on the -ve side. Get the same or larger voltage rating, and the same or larger capacitance. In smoothing applications like that, generally the larger the better.

Try to get one with the same distance between the pins as the blown one as that will make fitting it much easier, and the diameter should be the same so that it will fit without the relay getting in the way. You may find that the replacement is longer than the original one.

Now that the pins are separate, cut away or pull off the rubber bung, and unsolder the pins one at a time. Use a solder sucker to get enough solder out of the holes that the new capacitor pins will fit. Make sure the new one is the right way round. Push the capacitor down to the board and solder from the other side.

Unfortunately if other components are blown they may be more difficult to see damage on and they may be difficult to diagnose.

If there is a dead short between +ve and -ve, you should try to find what is wrong before wasting time on replacing the capacitor.

There is an unwritten rite of passage, for anyone who wishes to play and work with electronic circuits:
One must have blown an electrolytic capacitor by applying a reverse voltage.
Plus points: burn the fingers with a soldering iron.
You forgot the tattoo of some brand IC logo like say Texas Instruments burnt in the top of your knuckles from seating chips on motherboards. Another of the rights of passage.

And don't forget the lines of 0.1" spacing fingertip perforations when your grip slips while forming IC lead
One day I was having a very heated argument with another engineer. I started pounding on the workbench, which caused a 40 pin DIP to jump and land with its feet up.
Next pound, my fist landed on the IC. I ended with a fist full of bloody pricks with a neat 0.100” spacing.
Hurt like hell.
SMT components don’t bite.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back