Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wow, now this has to be a mistake!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant random stuff, not specifically PSU's. Like this one for example - I searched for cd and listed most expensive first
:p Yea, you get quite a few typos showing extreme prices like that but never the other way around!

I think someone told me that they do this when they are out of stock but don´t want to or can´t remove the listing.

I think someone told me that they do this when they are out of stock but don´t want to or can´t remove the listing.
Oh- something else I have learned. Hadn't thought of that. Things are often not what they seem to be. :wideyed:

Once a chap asked me to take a look at his treasured Hi Fi amp. I went around to his house with a fellow eng. We lifted the hood and I measured about 800 mA quiescent current in the left-hand amp output stage. So I said to my mate, in passing, the thing to do will be to short out the collector and emitter of the VBE multiplier transistor. With that the amp owner went mad and said that I was not going to short his amplifier out. :arghh:

Last edited:
And with that you never said a technical thing within earshot of a non-technical person ever again?
It's amazing how people can mis-understand things...

And with that you never said a technical thing within earshot of a non-technical person ever again?
It's amazing how people can mis-understand things...
Never a truer word spoken. I would go even further: never do a job when women (of both sexes), managers, kids and animals are around.

We had a major problem with a single board computer comanded system at work. Like all random malfunctions the symptoms seemed to follow a pattern. Every Monday morning the symptoms would be worse and whenever the customer turned up they would be even worse. In the end, the customer and our company top brass got involved- some of the best lunches I have ever had.

They were most helpful: shouldn't we change the processor board, shouldn't we check the power supply lines for voltage and glitches. And the final gem: we want full effort on this job and we would advise getting in a consultant. The wisdom of this advice was really appreciated, especially as we had at least two engineers investigating the job 24 hours a day. And they were probably some of the best for this type of work in the country.

The problems continued, and one Saturday evening around 7 pm we had a visit from the Managing Director. He arrived in jeans and sweater- which rather surprised us- after a day on his long boat. He said that he had an idea- the problem is probably caused by temperature effects. He then said "you see that bit of aluminium on the bench, that will fit exactly around the processor board and all you need to do is blow hot air into the gland on the front and that should locate the fault."

The assembly of which he spoke I had designed three days before and had had it made by the machine shop. :banghead:

Last edited:
So I said to my mate, in passing, the thing to do will be to short out the collector and emitter of the VBE multiplier transistor.

The term "bridge" would have been better. Bridge the emitter-collector of the VBE transistor.

I recognize those boat anchors from my past jobs. Exceptionally high surge current (low ESR) linear bricks.
36V 20A steady at room temp and >1kA surge. Or similar.
Sold for about $10/W new
now worth $0.5/W. Used.

Programmable from rear terminals for V and I using remote sense are useful was Llambda 's trademark with R controlled voltages with highest quality low noise linear lab supplies at the time.

The term "bridge" would have been better. Bridge the emitter-collector of the VBE transistor.
:happy: better still: Nulify the effect of the amplified delta T, Ebers-Moll voltage on the output BJT bases to ensure that the quescent current can be calibrated to specification.

I'd never heard of Ebers-Moll until today! Far too mathematical for my human brain, Mr Spock!

I'd never heard of Ebers-Moll until today! Far too mathematical for my human brain, Mr Spock!
I read a lot, but doesn't mean I know more than the name. :wideyed: Have you heard the saying B/S baffle brains? Scotty

The price should drop, its common for some sellers to suddenly up the price beyond reasonable or to submit something at a high price, normally one of three reasons for this............
1) they ran out but want to keep the listing, so they use a price that stops people buying
2) there is a 99 limit on items sold before becoming a business seller so if you get near this you up your prices until the next month, this is similar to the deals you get as a seller, if you used up your free this or that then up the price until the next offer.
3) washing money that isnt squeaky clean, now paypal is a separate company to ebay this is becoming common, I have seen some made stuff being brought at many times its true value

Money laundering opportunities

Actually I was at a Keysight Test Drive event yesterday, and spoke with one of the account managers over there. I told him my needs based on some projects I am working on for use in industrial confined space instruments, and he is hooking me up with a Demo unit at about 50% original sale price. This is a very nice supply.

Never trust sales people. The great deal promised to me fell thru so I ended up buying a Rigol DP832, which has very good reviews. I ordered it yesterday so I should receive it Monday. It has more outputs which I like as well.

DP832.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back