Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Would this be a decent relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do tend to get of topic around here! I can respect the trying to save energy concept.
I just have seen too many people waste loads of time and money squishing the power ants while the power pigs run free in their house!:eek:

As far as the Chinese stuff goes there are actually far more high quality products made in china than most ever realize. Its the one product in 50 thats garbage and what keeps giving them a bad name still.

To be fair I used to by American when ever I could but why pay high prices for American made garbage with a stamp on it? :mad:
For the right amount of money I can mass produce junk with that has every American standard stamp on it and still be selling 'cheap Chinese junk' as well.

Sadly our safety regulations agencies are getting to be more political than regulatory than they ever have been before. If anyone thinks American made stands for high quality you are sadly mistaken. Our good Vs bad is near equal to china or any other industrialized country. :mad:
China gets more bad rep because, well, they make far more stuff than we do now. We are a consumer society not a manufacturing society. :(

So for my needs, what you are saying is I should use a Mechanical Relay instead of an SSR? I don't know how much current my fan uses. I took a quick look on the fan and didn't see any labels. I will have to do a little more searching to see if I can get some numbers.

Hi axro,

a living fan of 16" diameter uses approximately 80W. To switch it on and off I suggest to use a latching relay which only consumes power the moment it's being triggered.

I attached the functional diagram of an "anti-standby-switch" as pusblished in ELEKTOR 1/2008 (Author Dr. Thomas Scherer) with some added translations.

Boncuk

Attachments

• Anti-Standby.gif
    Anti-Standby.gif
    36.3 KB · Views: 126
Hi axro,

a living fan of 16" diameter uses approximately 80W. To switch it on and off I suggest to use a latching relay which only consumes power the moment it's being triggered.

I attached the functional diagram of an "anti-standby-switch" as pusblished in ELEKTOR 1/2008 (Author Dr. Thomas Scherer) with some added translations.

Boncuk

Any chance you would like to explain how the circuit works :)

It seems like it is hard to find a cheap latching relay for switching AC. I found one, but it has a 12V coil. I was hoping to be under 9V.

Also, how does a latching relay only draw current when the latch is switching? Does it break the coil circuit or something?

Last edited:
Hi axro,

the relay I mentioned is a FINDER 40.61 DSDT latching relay using one coil. To trigger the relay it requires a short pulse (pushbutton) to energize the coil, which will stay (latched) in position when the trigger signal is removed. To reverse switching the coil must be engerized with reversed polarity, also using a pushbutton.

The Anti-Stanby-Switch involves circuitry to determine if a connected device is in operation or in standby-mode (still consuming electric power) by measuring current. If the device has been switched to stand-by mode the circuit will remove power completely after a presettable time period.

The bistable (latching relay) is only available for coil voltages of 12 and 24V. Using 9V the relay should work properly.

Attached is the English version of the 40.61 relay datasheet.

You might also search for devices known as "ELTACO" in Germany. They are operated with a single pushbutton using mains power and toggle the connected device on and off, using power only the moment they are activated. (They are commonly used to switch on and off the hall light from different locations.) Check with your local electrician who does home electric service as new installation.

Boncuk

P.S. The FINDER 40.61.6 12V is €5.25 (US$7.10)

Attachments

• S40EN.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back