Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

would like sugestions for building height adjusting stand w/ tilt mnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulsteve

Please pardon my lack of technical knowledge here, but I'm interested getting suggestions on making a large flat screen monitor mount that would need to do the following:

via a remote control (1) raise the monitor up or down by about 10" as well as (2) tilt the monitor forward or backwards by 30degrees. This would be indoors and in a normal temp environment.

For the aspects of what it will need to do:

(1) consist of a tube that's not more than 3-5" in diameter as the base and have a slightly larger tube that will fit over the top. This larger tube will need to raise / lower about 10" via a remote controlled motor lift. It will need to support about 100LB while being raised.

(2) have a mounting plate attached to one side of the upper tube (that a flat screen monitor can attach to) this plate will need to be able to tilt by about 30 degrees either up or down

I'm basically trying to decide if I should go with a belt driven lift, or a "threaded screw" type lift for part (1).

As far as the tilting assembly, I'm not sure.

This is for a hobby project, so I unfortunately don't have any funds to pay for engineering.

Any thoughts & suggestions would be appreciated

100lb? Belt drive is probably a bad idea, worm screws will work, but you'll need heavy duty one. If you can't pay for engineering you probably can't pay for machining and I have no idea where to aim you as to what types of parts you can use to get a similar effect.

Dear Sceadwian, Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I should rephrase my budget range. I actually have budgeted to spend up to $300 for parts, but was hoping to do the rigging myself. I'm still training on "DoubleCAD" (& emachineshop.com) and won't likely have drawings for a week or so. I was thinking about having a 4" or 5" OD gray PVC conduit pipe for the lower tube and a slightly larger one (if need be with small rollers attached to the interior of the larger tube) to fit like a sleeve on top. To raise/lower it I was thinking about having a motor attached to another smaller tube in the center of the bottom tube. A "worm screw" would be attached to that which would be attached to the upper sleeve section. Hopefully if I rigged things right I'd be able to get about 10" of vertical range of motion. The other challenge is to have the tilting platform. I've thought about having a small "worm screw" attached to a lever, but am not sure. So basically if I went with the 2 "worm screw" approach the question would be: what type of motors, control units, screw assemblies, etc. would be a good place to start at. As far as the remote control, it would basically be a wired system that can enable either worm screw motor (the bigger vertical one or the smaller horizontal "tilt" one) and have it automatically stop (if easily possible) once the screw is at its maximum in or out position.

I guess my question would be your suggestion then regarding what type of motor/worm screw assembly suppliers you think are good?

Thanks again, Steve

I would get 2 windscreen wiper motors from any robot supplier. Try robotmarketplace.com.

Then connect one to some threaded rod from the harware store will provide the lift.
Say 1/8" pitch at 2 revs/sec is about 1/4" per second lift with lots of force to lift 100lb. They have faster gearmotors if you need faster lift but it might get expensive. The wiper motors are very torquey and cheap but slow. Very torquey and fast costs a lot more. ;)

The other one you can connect to a lever to provide the tilt on a hinged bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back