Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Working with the 4017

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantasymick

I'm working on a circuit which I mentioned in this thread. https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/help-i-need-a-digital-project.1487/

Now I'm just trying to get the one 4017 to work before I wire the whole project. Correct me if I'm wrong. I want the 4017 to work as a counter...

So...

Pin 8 goes to ground
Pin 16 goes to Vcc

Pin 13 goes to ground (Clock Enable)
Pin 15 goes to ground (Reset)

Pin 14 is the clock

All other pins are outputs for the counter.

I went to this site:

http://www.geocities.com/it2n/counter.html

which says that pin 13 should be high, which I think is wrong.

Can I use a switch setup as shown in the flash animation for the clock input or do I need a 555 for it?

Thx.

According to the datasheet, clock enable and reset must both be low for counting. This suprises me, because usually the symbol would be

/Clock Enable or
*Clock Enable

to indicate that it is active low.

Oh well. Other than that, yes, if 13 and 15 are low, and you have a clock on 14, it will count. Isn't it?

j.

For normal counting,
Pin 13 should be low (Enable)
Pin 15 Should also be low (Reset)
Rising edge of clock is required to increment the counter i.e at pin 14.

"Can I use a switch setup as shown in the flash animation for the clock input or do I need a 555 for it? "

You can use a switch if you run it through a debouncer first. Otherwise the counter will probably increment several counts each time you close the switch. Here is a good explanation of contact debouncers. Do a Google search if you want more ideas. There are many ways to debounce a switch.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back