Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Work situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroRF

Hi,
I got a situation at work.

There had been 2 business trips abroad planned in our team, one conducted by me, the other one by my colleague.

Both were scheduled for upcoming weeks.

Now my colleague got pretty sick, and I was requested to take over his business trip.

I don't wanna take it for 2 reasons:

1. I went over all the details with him and I found several holes which might fail accomplishing the purpose of this trip.

2. I'm afraid that while i'm there, someone else will take over my business trip (the one I planned), and I'd be very disappointed if after all the hard work I've put into this trip, someone else will take the credit, while I'm left with so much work on the other guy's business trip since he did not plan it well, and there's not much I can do to fix it at this stage.

I'd like to discuss it with my manager tomorrow, to let him know of the holes discovered in the other guy's plan, and to request that no one will take over my original business trip, meaning they'll hold it until i'm back from the other business trip.

I even intend to ask to have my business trip earlier than the other one, even though I was already informed by a lower-ranked manager (than the one i'll talk to tomorrow) that the other business trip has higher priority.

I'd appreciate your comments on it, and how you think I should approach my manager on this.

Thanks folks.

sounds reasonable to me. can't you jsut repeat same thing to your boss?

I agree with your concern. There may be a reason for a change in plans for business trip that you are not aware of. Follow the following unrelated scenario:

A company VP emails his CEO for advice with a staffing problem. A female manager is going on maternity leave and will most likely not return to the position. The most qualified replacement is a male, but the VP wants a slightly less qualified female in that position. Quotas need to be maintained. What can he do?

The CEO replies: Ask the male employee to go on a temporary 6 month assignment at an office on the other side of the country. Create the temporary position if necessary. Meanwhile, the female manager leaves her job. Temporarily replace her with the other female of choice in the position of ACTING manager. When the 6 months is up and the male comes back, the female will be more qualified, having had working experience doing the actual management job.

The above scenario was real, and is based on a CEO's email that I inadvertently read from recovered files in a used hard drive that was installed in my own work station. This type of upper management shenanigans is more prevalent than you might think. So when you go and meet with your managers to discuss your concerns, ask some real questions.

Don't be surprised if your colleague suddenly gets well and is assigned to take over your duties while you're gone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back