Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

woofer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

hentai

I found through my old stuff a pair of woofers only thing they have writen on their back is 14pl328B6 10ohms and a M symbol. I remember i got them from a car. One of them has in the rubber surround a very tiny cut. The thing is when i increase the volume from this one i hear some noise like a crackle a "zbrrr" especially in parts with a lot og bass. So my humble request to u is:
1). If someone can give more info on the woofers would be nice
2). that noise what do u think causes it? Is it from the surround? i'm thinking that mb its voice coil is shifted from its center?
thx.

If the surround is damaged, that will tend to make a noise - but if it makes nasty noises basically it's knackered!.

But generally car speakers aren't very good anyway, and their specifications are usually highly optimistic!.

You could try repairing the cut in the surround, try gluing it with the vulcanising compound found in most bike puncture repair kits.

basically it's knackered!
what do u mean? my english is not that good...
But generally car speakers aren't very good anyway, and their specifications are usually highly optimistic!.
true but if its there why not do something with it...
You could try repairing the cut in the surround, try gluing it with the vulcanising compound found in most bike puncture repair kits.
i will replace the surround entirely i just bought one ...lets see what happens

hentai said:
What do u mean? my english is not that good...
It's slang for it's broken.

:) well i'll save the new ones for later use ( their good rubber ones) the original surround is not "rubber" rubber is some kind of foam i dont know how to say it in english.

Al right, al right i'll throw it back in the attic or mb i can get a pack of cigarettes for it. Hey neighbour.... :D

Btw i finished that 20W amp, that circuit u said its old and crude, sounds pretty decend and i havent spent a dime.:D At first when i feed it more signal i could hear the crossover distortion pretty nasty but i changed one of the transistors and the problem was no more. :)

Last edited:
The voice coil and magnets must still be good for something.

hentai said:
Al right, al right i'll throw it back in the attic or mb i can get a pack of cigarettes for it. Hey neighbour.... :D

Btw i finished that 20W amp, that circuit u said its old and crude, sounds pretty decend and i havent spent a dime.:D At first when i feed it more signal i could hear the crossover distortion pretty nasty but i changed one of the transistors and the problem was no more. :)

I've always found the best cure for crossover distorion is to use a Vbe multiplier for the bias compensation - adjust it to minimum (zero) bias, then gradually turn it up until the crossover distortion vanishes - it's easiest to do it on a scope.

thx im so happy that i could save it
i think i'll use it in a guitar speaker something like those PA units only smaller

Hi Gaston, i found surrounds at a local electronics store who also sells speakers. When u change the surround the thing u have to worry about is to maintain the voice coil in the center. I first glued the surround and the cone then i glued the surround in just 4 places like a cross. Use little glue to do this, then gently apply equal presure around the dust cap and see if u hear anything. If u hear scrapping than remove the surround from those 4 points and try it again until u hear nothing when u press the cone. This is something like trial and error but if the voice coil wasnt previously shifted its very likely to succed the first time. U could remove the dust cap and put a piece of paper or somthing between the inside of the voice coil and the outside of the pole. Put some acetone on the spider net to remove its stiffness. This way while u change the surround the voice coil will be in position. Ofc try this if u have another dust cap. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back