Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring LEDS for car lights. Need assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blis

Alright, so I made a custom set of the BMW Angel Eye lights for my sports car, and am now trying to wire them properly. The setup that I'm trying to do, is so that I can turn on the inner and outer rings separately, but then also turn them both on simultaneously. I'm hoping to do this without wiring a second switch, but not fully sure that it's possible. Below is a picture of the setup.

**broken link removed**

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Greg

The solution has to do with what kind of switch you can obtain. You basically need a four detent switch which could be wired to provide: Nothing, Inner, Outer, Inner & Outer. I have never seen an automotive style pull-switch with four detents. A three detent switch would could be wired to provide: Nothing, One, Both; where One could be either Inner or Outer.

How much current do the lamps draw?

Last edited:
It's not lamps. LED's. High output. 960mlm intensity, 525nm wavelength, 20mA current, 3.5v supply. Those are attached to 470ohm resistors.

So how many LEDs are you switching?

Any insight on the mechanical configuration of the switch?

Last edited:
each ring has 2 led's, so each line will have 2 leds and 2 resistors attached to it. I'm curious as to what type of a switch I need so I can set it up for Nothing, Outer lights, Inner lights, Both lights.

If you do two LED's in series you can use a small current limit resistor disipating less heat and generally wasting less power. At 12 V DC you'll be burning 300mw's in the resistors. If I'm not mistake the resistor value for two 3.5 LED in series at ~20ma is 160ohms and it would only dissipate 100mw's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back