Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring a universal washing machine motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi to all,

Can anyone tell me the best way to wire a universal washing machine motor to give the most torque at the lowest speed?

The harness from the motor has 8 connections. 2 greens which go to the end of the shaft to a separate part which I assume is a tacho of some kind, so I can ignore them.

There are then 3 white wires and a red, black and a blue.

Of these 6 I have determined that the red and one white go to the brushes. I cannot see where the others go but think they must be the windings. The resistance between black and blue is virtually a dead short as is the remaining pair of whites.

I know the motor works as some years ago I wired it as a dc motor for a project I never finished. When I did that I knew more about motors and it all made sense to me, however I have memory problems and some things have forever dissappeared, the knowledge of motors being one of them!

So any ideas on the best method to get torque and low(est) speed from the motor would be appreciated.

Thanks Al

These may help

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Do you have any pictures of yours?

Hi mate,

This motor has separate field windings I think, so would there be any benefit in wiring them in parallel instead of series?

I wonder this simply because they have gone to the trouble (and cost) of bringing the windings connections outside the motor. Is there a particular reason for this?

Al

In washing machines usually the motor is run in 2 differend directions. The field winding is reversed to change rotational direction. This will be why the field is seperate set of wires.

This motor has separate field windings I think, so would there be any benefit in wiring them in parallel instead of series?
Wiring them in parallel may burn them up if thay are ment to be in series.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Just an update, I wired everything in series and the motor runs fine. A bit fast maybe buy some gearing will solve that.

Thanks Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back