Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless on/off control for LED's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red66Stang

Hi all, I'm new to the forums. I only have some limited LED tinkering experiece so I'm hoping I can learn a little bit more on using some IC's in some project ideas I have.

Anyways, I have an idea for an automotive application. I would like to have a set of LED's turn on and off when 12v is supplied/removed. In the application I'm thinking of, running wires would not work. I would like to have some sort of wireless transmittal of the on/off signal between where the 12v is coming from and where the LED's would be. I plan on powering the LED's probably a CRV3 lithium battery and that would also power the receiver from. I only need an effective range of maybe 3-5 feet for the wireless and the smaller the receiver the better. Thank you for any help or recommendations on where to look further.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

RF is not simple stuff, so you want to use pre-built modules. I would suggest getting a cheap wireless doorbell from Radio Shack/The Source or someplace, and use that. Transmitter and receiver are both quite small. You'd hack the transmitter so that it's triggered by the incoming signal and on the receiver you'd simply cut off the speaker/piezo and use its drive line to trigger your LEDs on (might want to add a transistor buffer for that).

Why can't you run wires?

Torben

Hey Torben,

My plan was to have a remote switch my motorcycles accent lighting to the next program. It's going to be done with a PIC and I was wondering if I could use something wireless as the switch.

I plan on a few programs within the chip itself chase/ fade / color change etc.
It would just be nice to have that ability and I am sure I could use something.
Perhaps something other then RF? not sure IR would do it though. Any other idea's that I could use?

tallan said:
Hey Torben,

My plan was to have a remote switch my motorcycles accent lighting to the next program. It's going to be done with a PIC and I was wondering if I could use something wireless as the switch.

I plan on a few programs within the chip itself chase/ fade / color change etc.
It would just be nice to have that ability and I am sure I could use something.
Perhaps something other then RF? not sure IR would do it though. Any other idea's that I could use?

If you're using a PIC, then you might want to look at some of the RF modules available from sources like https://www.sparkfun.com

The wireless RF doorbell hack is a simple way to turn things on and off at a distance, but a full-blown RF module pair hooked to uCs can give you more communication options.

I'd still look at ways to hardwire it, though. I know you said you can't do that :) but it would be easier. What is the exact reason it can't be hardwired?

Torben

Hey Torben,

Thanks for that info! I'll check it out. I'm just speaking for myself and I don't know about the poster who started this thread. I have handle bars and not quite sure where to put a switch. I know I could find some place to put it but
I was really hoping for a wireless option. I guess that could alway be version 2 though huh. :)

Nice site, I think I saw my next project after version 2.

Ted

It was for a motorcycle helmet. I'm thinking of a 3rd brakelight up on the helmet where car drivers are more likely to see it. Wireless would make it convenient enough that it would almost be passive to the rider. I know i personally would forget to unplug wires at least once a day and break something if it was hardwired to my head. The doorbell thing should work for a prototype if nothing else. Thanks for the idea.

Ah, a fellow biker with a great idea! I somehow had the idea your were a Muscle car kind of guy. I was going to look into the doorbell as well, it should work just fine.

Now if you go with the accent lights they'll be slowing down and thinking what the heck is that? At least that is what I am hoping for. Good luck with your project Red66Stang.

Tallan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back