Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wire designation on complex coloring schemes (Nissan 2000)

Grossel

Hi.

I'm helping a friend that have a Nissan x-trail from 2001 with an electrical issue. We suspect there may be some fault to the actual wiring itself (car have be subjected to rough treatment some years back).

In order to help myself to locate the fault, I make a schematic (my own, that only include the circuitry where I suspect being affected by the failure).

Now to the issue : The wires have all this different color combinations (a cable bundle of 20+ wires, I haven't found any duplicates), I try to figure if there exist a standard that can be used to make shortest possible text/number designation on a schematic. However, when searching online - I just feels to get half way to an answer because the wires in this car seems to have more complex color combinations than what I find examples online, examples:
  • Solid color + one stripe + two colored bands repeating
  • Solid color with dashed stripe
  • Color variations, such as "darker green", lighter green" (many more) that is not mention in online.
I can of course just create my own legend so that short codes are also descriptive for the appearance of each wire, but the question is if it exists a standard for this that also covers a multitude of color combinations ?

I've always based my wiring notations on an old GPO (old British telephone company) short code for wire colours, with two letter for each common colour.

These are the 0-9 resistor code colours; black is BK to avoid confusion with blue, and grey is SL (slate) to keep it apart from green.

BK
BR
RD
OR
YL
GN
BL
VI
SL
WH

PK = Pink
CY = Cyan
CL = clear
LG = light green
LB = light blue etc.

For multi colour wires, the first is the main colour and the second the lengthways "tracer" colour, like GN/BR
Add the band colours after that, so WH/GN/RD/YL
For the dashed tracer, use and underscore instead of the / like WH_BL ??

Vehicle wiring diagrams have no common standard for colour coding or abbreviations. It's down to the designer & the abbreviations they prefer in their language.

Thank you for response. I think this is enough info to make a wire designation that at least have some parts of standards incorporated.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back