Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows 7 or vista..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the same boat...
(not the vista part, HA, from what i've heard, i think bill would like to turn back time)
But need, (or should i say want) a new laptop. (well i dont have one... but I dont want an old one)

Anyways... I thought this was the wrong place for a question like that. ( I could be very wrong.. I'm not sure)
But since the topic has been started I shall continue.

As I dont want to HighJack carrythomas's initial post, (even though I think carry will get a lop sided opinion on vista) I will expand on the question.

Seen as though carry is after a newww one,
Has anyone purchased a new laptop recently? What do you think and what can you recomend for a virgin laptop buyer (like me).
Add your specs too for a better understanding of what you bought.
O/S, hardware........

Hi,

No question V 7.0 over Vista. My son in the industry tells me that Vista has been voted in the top ten of poorest software releases, ever. No need to go back to XP.

Recently installed my video editing software onto my laptop, a Core 2 Duo 2.26MHz running Vista with 2Meg ram. A process that normally takes max of 2 hours on Pentium IV with running XP and 1Gig of ram ran from 22:00 in the evening and was not complete by 08:00 the following day, it still had 2 hours to go. 7 times as slow in video editing?

Vista not for me, message keep coming up saying "Program not responding" then it freezes for a while before working again.

Cheers
Andrew

just a heads up, if you have windows 7 and you have a xp based app you want, you can install 'xp mode' onto windows 7 that lets you install xp based apps onto 7.

so my opinion... Windows 7!

Cheers
Roman

yeah, but you need Windows 7 Professional (I think its called) to service xp apps.

The standard "home premium" doesn't allow the apps made for xp.

So if i am to buy a laptop with pre installed OS... 99% chance it will be "home premium" so i will have to buy the better version anyway.

I dont want to buy from harvy norman, good guys, etc.. (australian for those who are wondering) becuase all their computers come with pre loaded bullshiz trial advertising programs installed on a partition that you just cant delete without formatting the thing!

Plus you dont get the OS disk, so you cant format it anyway!
You buy a computer. you buy the operating system, but you dont get the disk... just a serial.

So i've been advised to buy from a 'bussiness center'.
Some stock HP, toshiba etc.... without software.You have to buy it..

but it will still probably work out cheaper because i want the professional version.

I just wish major retailers would sell them like that.
I am avoiding buying from any of them, simply because I dint want all the crap that comes with them.

There is nothing wrong with downloading the OEM version of the M$ OS and using the license key supplied with the laptop to load a legit copy. You have the key so you have a valid license.

XP mode in Windows 7 only works on computers that have hardware virtualization support (CPU dependent)

I am using vista and running sun virtual box to use my microscope which only works on XP.

But the USB handling is horrid.

Has anyone been using XP apps under 7 and is there any problem with which machine has what USB port.

My processor is an Athlon 64 X2 5600+ which according to what I read should have hardware virtualization support.

3v0

I am using vista and running sun virtual box to use my microscope which only works on XP.

But the USB handling is horrid.

Has anyone been using XP apps under 7 and is there any problem with which machine has what USB port.

My processor is an Athlon 64 X2 5600+ which according to what I read should have hardware virtualization support.

3v0

i have the exact same cpu as you and i have been running XP mode for weeks now with out issues. with USBs, no problems there, i had a old webcam with winxp only drivers and it works really well.

Cheers
Roman

I have both windows 7 ultimate and windows vista home basic on my laptop(partitioned) 2ghz processor and 2gig of RAM, the more RAM you have, the more your OS will take to run it!!!(its better that way though) i like them both! i use to HATE windows vista until i went through all the "setting" and changed things like "power options" that makes a BIG difference to you computers performance!!! and the same thing applies with windows 7... the only thing that i like better about windows 7 is the aero peek feature! other than that I don't see how one is better than the other... if you adjust all the setting to YOUR preference than i think you will like either one the same! that's my 2cents worth anyway.

The standard "home premium" doesn't allow the apps made for xp.

Home Premium does it but in a different way
Right click on the .exe file
Click 'Troubleshoot Compatability' - This will install the program on XP mode
Follow defaults to install

Works fine for me on Win 7 Home Premium

You can always use Sun's XVM virtualization software, it's free, not the fastest but it works quiet well. I'm sticking with Vista until I have an overwhelming reason to upgrade to 7, or until I buy a new computer. I'm fairly certain the new computer will come before I decide to go to windows 7

Last edited:
VMWare Server is also free and very proven in production environments.

You can always use Sun's XVM virtualization software, it's free, not the fastest but it works quiet well. I'm sticking with Vista until I have an overwhelming reason to upgrade to 7, or until I buy a new computer. I'm fairly certain the new computer will come before I decide to go to windows 7

I am not as happy with virtualBox (I think that is what you are using) as you are.
If I do not exit virtualbox/XP, the next time I come back to it my USB microscope can not be found by XP. The only sure way to fix it is to reboot. Moving it to another USB port works at times.

I expect it has to do with windows power saving and is more Vista's fault then Sun's.

3v0

I say 7, because the core of the system is the same essentially. This is just like every system from Windows 95 up until Windows XP. Each system got progressively better, and I say Vista was still an improvement... It just had a few bugs, being a very different system. Windows 7 would be like upgrading from 95 to 98, 98 to 2000, or 2000 to XP. It would be enough to be called a different system, while the core is still the same, essentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back