Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows 10 Fear and Loathing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was not aware you could program the Arduino (I'm assuming that's what you meant) with Python. In fact, I'm still pretty sure you can't. Were you thinking of the Raspberry Pi?
Thanks Matt: yes Raspberry Pi
Chuck

Thanks Matt: yes Raspberry Pi
Chuck

Ah, ok. Just wanted to check--I'd be interested to know if the Arduino could in fact be programmed in python, but I was pretty sure that wasn't the case :p

Regards,
Matt

Ah, ok. Just wanted to check--I'd be interested to know if the Arduino could in fact be programmed in python, but I was pretty sure that wasn't the case :p

Regards,
Matt

Oh, don't go by what I say on this subject. The last micro I was involved with was an 8048 (I think that was the number) way back, but I have been meaning for years to learn about PIC, Arduino and Raspberry Pi mainly for controlling electronic circuits. Trouble is not enough hours in the day, and going to the pub etc does take up a lot of time. :joyful:

Last edited:
Oh, don't go by what I say on this subject. The last micro I was involved with was an 8048 (I think that was the number) way back, but I have been meaning for years to learn about PIC, Arduino and Raspberry Pi mainly for controlling electronic circuits. Trouble is not enough hours in the day, and going to the pub etc does take up a lot of time. :joyful:

Stupid question: do "pub" mean always only alcoholic beverages and no food? The few I knew at Dublin, Liverpool, Porstmouth and (not sure if) at London, seemed a place just for drinking, and chatting a LOT (at various degrees of loudness)...not a good place to concentrate on the IDE of choice. :joyful:

Last edited:

Regards,
Matt

Hy Matt,

I have been advised today that the Arduino can be programed in Python, as can Raspberry Pi, and Beagle Bone Black. I was also told that the later SBC is the best option.

There is quite a bit about running Python on the Arduino on the net:
https://www.toptechboy.com/using-python-with-arduino-lessons/
https://playground.arduino.cc/Interfacing/Python
https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-and-Python/

spec

Why in the world would I want to change my operating system when the one I have works and does exactly what I need it to do? Let's see..... get a new OS with a whole new batch of bugs and software incompatibilities and need new drivers for all my peripherals and have to relearn a whole new system... all to fix a "problem" that doesn't exist because I don't need anything the new junk is offering?

Yeah, what's not to like about that?

I realize that Microsoft is in the business of forcing new software onto the world to line their pockets (resistance is futile) but they don't need to try to drag me along. As Judge Judy frequently says: Don't wet on my leg and then try to tell me it's raining.....

Win X comes with many new applications you don't need. It's like Apple , they want you to go their store to buy new gadgets. They change how explorer works, add more maintenance tools, and of course more telemetry.

They do add a bit more security at the expense of admin freedom.

Stick with your favorite OS.

I think Win X should be their last 2D OS. They will just have lots and lots of updates.

Sorry Tony, what does it mean?
WinX or windows 10 will be their last (IMHO) until we get to voice interactive 3D websearching.
They will just have updates every Tuesday and try to steer people to their Store for purchases like Apple does.

Right now browsers are becoming Operating Systems with ANdroid and Google OS planning to merge, Firefox and others have their own linux OS and iPad is another example of linux BSD with built in Apps

The web will become a new paradigm with smart professional services like medicine, lawyers, engineering and these will be paid apps that will displace jobs as we know it, but create new jobs for professions aggregating their knowledge to solve problems online. New jobs will be created for triage in any discipline, but the solutions will be paid apps online.

20 years from now, the web will be totally different.

Not just Microsoft- everybody.

Antivirus software is almost a joke these days. I use Kespersky Internet Security which is one of the best, but it has caused more problems than all other programs put together. False positives are always a hazard with any detection system.

I have learnt how to eat trojans/viruses in my sleep. I loved Kaspersky's 1.0 and spoke to Eugene in Russia to alert him of a 1 bit trojan that will hide the windows directory and indicate < OS not found. But I have not used any AV suites for protection for at least 10 years and none of my 6 computers have these. I use proactive reg scanning utilities to warn me of suspcious activity that infects your PC on the next boot. Otherwise I can fix any troian on other people's PC's faster than the accumulated time lost waiting the mouse hourglass to finish. From XP to win7 takes me about 15 minutes to disinfect, clean etc. without loss of data. Win8, 10 takes a bit longer. Hard disk failures can add more time.

Also if you look at any professional AV comparison review, they only test a thousand or less random recent malware out of millions and NONE are better than 98% effective from what I recall. That' includes detection and protection so you are always going to be unprotected from at least 2% of all recent trojans.

This impefection means if you are wise to practise safe computing with good browsing habits and browsers that have good blacklist, whitelist protection, that may be your best bet.

I use adwcleaner.exe on users whose PC's just run a bit slower than normal from www.bleepingcomputers.com and send suspicious files to www.Virustotal.com where the server can scan the file with about 85 of all the AV suites in in the world in less than a minute or quickly report a previous result,

I have never, ever seen Windows Defender or Windows Malicous scanner MRT.exe detect anything!
Apples and Linux machines can also get infected these days, but are less common.

I have learnt how to eat trojans/viruses in my sleep. I loved Kaspersky's 1.0 and spoke to Eugene in Russia to alert him of a 1 bit trojan that will hide the windows directory and indicate < OS not found. But I have not used any AV suites for protection for at least 10 years and none of my 6 computers have these. I use proactive reg scanning utilities to warn me of suspcious activity that infects your PC on the next boot. Otherwise I can fix any troian on other people's PC's faster than the accumulated time lost waiting the mouse hourglass to finish. From XP to win7 takes me about 15 minutes to disinfect, clean etc. without loss of data. Win8, 10 takes a bit longer. Hard disk failures can add more time.

Hell, That is impressive Tony. :cool:

spec

I have never, ever seen Windows Defender or Windows Malicous scanner MRT.exe detect anything!

I've had Windows Defender detect worms before, but that's about it. For everything else I use SpyBot S&D .

I recently got an email from a supplier in Taiwan who received a PDF attachment that was infected. Her PC had a keylogger 3 years ago and then they impersonated her and me to initiate and diversion of payment. The police and FBI never bothered to investigate this fraud. Now 3 yrs later the same tactic was tried again. I viewed the PDF in a raw text reader, Notepad+++.exe and discover embedded URL's to a domain in India on a materials management website that was then reported yesterday by whois servers to be relocated to an alibaba.com server. I suspect it is from a global fraud ring with participants in Taiwan and China who infiltrate web domains with hidden subdirectories containing PHP scripts to contain these keyloggers.

One of these days, I will find out who.

For a great read. get any of Mark Russinovich's (MS guru) 3 novels based on reality in a fiction novel about how trojans affect anything, including Airplane autopilot computers, cars, cell phones , the Stock exchange and government websites and how it affects every day life with supreme drama, and espionage.. To educate yourself on how windows does stuff in the background, use his tools called Procmon, Procexp and autoruns.exe (free) a hundred others if you are a network administrator that allows one to do anything on any networked PC. ( about $4k/cd for winternals as I recall)

BSOD on an ATM is my favourite. They are so informative ;)

I wish they'd done more with OS/2. That was actually a decent OS. I used it whilst working at the offices of a bank some years ago.

As I recall OS/2 was proprietary to IBM. Microsoft and IBM did not have the same vision. They split and went their separate ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back