Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wind turbine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wanting something similar to a turbocharger ... or like a jet engine compressor/turbine.
it will be for a wood stove(outdoor) that i want to force airflow through mostly to increase o2 and to solve for back draft ...
Heated with a small Franklin stove for a few years and learned this:

An exhaust pipe rotating cap (like this) solved the back draft issue (for the most part).

Beyond that, any effort to passively tap the energy in the exhaust air flow (at whatever combustion level) to increase combustion efficiency and/or heat output was an exercise in futility...

I was vaguely thinking of something like a "paddlewheel" turbine, a very light unit with the axle set flush with the line of the flue pipe wall and vanes that almost touch the pipe interior.
eg. https://www.jazdesignco.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/TE_turbine_dia2.jpg

That could be used to drive another similar unit on a common axle that acts as a "blower" feeding the air input.
The input route is not critical so some flexible duct could connect back down to the stove air inlet.
The axle could also connect to a small low-friction motor as a "start-up" device.

Whether there would be any benefit at all - I have no idea..

If you want airflow for a fire have you thought about not having motors & power, the system if you could make it work would probably be more efficient if you ducted air down to the fire, or created a vacuum up top, there are gizmo's that already do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back