Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will this diode be fast enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikalogic

Hello, i was wondering if this diode :
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/08/50611.pdf
can be used to switch a signal of 20 MHz

What i mean by switching is it turn on and off at a frequency of 20MHz.

I see in the datasheet that the Trr (reverse recovery time) is about 5ns. does it simply mean it can switch at 1/Trr = 200 MHz? If not, is a safety factor of 10 enought?

Sounds reasonable to me. If the 5ns is a 'typical' value, you should be able to get that out of the 'bulk' of these diodes. At worst, you'll have to throw away few parts.

Don't forget the junction capacitance...

yes, the way i am calculating it is by saying that the cutoff frequency must be far from the frequency i am using, given that cut off frequency (Fc):

Fc = 1/(2piRC)

Where R would be the load and C diode capacitance, it that right?

Sounds reasonable to me. If the 5ns is a 'typical' value, you should be able to get that out of the 'bulk' of these diodes. At worst, you'll have to throw away few parts.

Does that mean i'll have to test them one by one?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back