Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will this coffee machine that is 110V/60Hz will work in Europe on 110V/50Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

oren

Hi,
I read this review:
https://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-coffee-maker/
about this
**broken link removed**
coffee machine, and I would like to buy it to my girl friend, but it seems that the coffee machine is only 110V/60Hz.
I am living in Europe and here we run on 230V/50Hz, I have a convertor from 230V to 110V, but the frequency will stay at 50Hz, do you think the machine will work on 50Hz?

Thanks,
Oren.

The vast majority now have electronics for the control side so 50/60 hz would not make any difference, the only thing is the element, and they should run on 50hz no problem.
Max.

If the maker has a transformer then that could be a problem, as transformers dont like to be run on lower than designed frequencies (from 60 to 50hz), however these days most equipment use switching power supplies which tend to be unfussy about frequency as max says, and heater elements are similar.
You'd have to ask the manufacturer to know for sure, thing is they might not know as these days design work is outsourced.

If it also has a Clock in it, It may not keep proper time.
Just Depends if it is crystal controlled or not.

Usually all the ones I have seen have a 32khz xtal, for the clock.
I doubt if they would use the mains freq in this day and age.
As far as brewing is concerned they usually rely on the water being boiled off to terminate the brew.
M.

The 230V to 110V converter might simply be a rectifier diode made for incandescent light bulbs and heating appliances. The diode will destroy the transformer and other parts in the coffee maker.

coffee expresso machine often use a spring loaded solenoid pump with a diode, so it will run ok at 50 Hz half cycle, but the DC load will saturate your transformer and thus get hot

Tony Stewart Thank you, but she prefer a filter coffee (go figure..)

Thank you all for the response
I don't think you will have a problem as long as the convertor is a straight conversion from 230 to 120 such as a mains transformer, the drip type are not that much wattage.
Max.

I don't think you will have a problem as long as the convertor is a straight conversion from 230 to 120 such as a mains transformer, the drip type are not that much wattage.
Max.
and his transformer is >=1000 VA rated (huge) which supports 1000W heater to near boil 4 cups of coffee water in 3 minutes

I would call their Customer Service 1-800-545-4411. I am not sure if the clock functions sync to a 60 Hz line or if it has its own internal clock. Anyway, their customer service can certainly answer your question. Nice unit from what I read.

Ron

The manual says 1 litre in 7 minutes?
The wattage was not shown.
Max.
Try boiling 1L of water with 1kW microwave, it should be about the same time.

Hy oren,

This is not much help, but I put your question to OXO including about using a voltage transformer: this is the reply:

Unfortunately, OXO On is not available internationally and, due to the difference in voltage, these products are not compatible for use outside of the United States.

We appreciate your interest in OXO On! Please check back with your local distributor at a later date for availability in your local market.

United Kingdom

OXO GOOD GRIPS, UK

1-4 Jessops Riverside, 800 Brightside Lane

Sheffield, South Yorkshire S9 2RX

United Kingdom

Tel. +44 (0) 114 242 0405

E-mail: info@hot-uk.co.uk; customer.service@oxouk.com

Thoughtfully yours,

Chrissy

OXO Consumer Care Center

1331 South Seventh Street, Suite 221 • Chambersburg, PA 17201 • USA

Monday - Friday, 8AM - 5PM EST

Tel. 800.545.4411, ext. 16076 • Fax. 717.709.5350

www.oxo.comwww.facebook.com/oxowww.twitter.com/oxo

I wonder what Chrissy's technical credentials are?:rolleyes:
I have often experienced a similar case where someone in customer service gives the 'safe' inconclusive answer.
In the case of a recent inquiry about a drive, I got someone in the engineering dept.
Max.

I wonder what Chrissy's technical credentials are?:rolleyes:
I have often experienced a similar case where someone in customer service gives the 'safe' inconclusive answer.
In the case of a recent inquiry about a drive, I got someone in the engineering dept.
Max.
Yes, exactly my feeling, but I thought it worth a shot anyway- you never know.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot- can you imagine designing a product theses days that, for no good reason, didn't work on world supplies. :eek:

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back