Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will not solder :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.EM

Hi. I have these plugs:

**broken link removed**

Which I wanted to make into simple patch cables, one plug to another. But when I tried to solder the cables to the plug, I found that the solder just wouldn't take to it. I have lead free and normal 40/60, niether of which work well at all, the lead free can be picked off :shock: . I have found this with things in the past, anything thats not coppery seems a pain to solder. Anyone have any tips? I have 20 of these plugs, so I really need to find a fix!

A novel design feature of the plug enables assembly of the plug AFTER soldering.

It does say that these can be soldered. In my experience, I've found that some plugs can just barely be soldered with my 30W pencil iron (with lead). For jobs like this, I tend to prefer a butane pencil iron (Careful where you point that exhaust vent!) Naturally, this can get considerably hotter and it does make these jobs a lot easier.

I know what you mean Dr.EM. Most of the components which exhibit this problem have a very doubtful pedigree.

You should try cleaning the surface with something abrasive. I use one of those funny pen things from RS Components which have either fine brass wires or fibreglass inserts. You twist the end to advance or retract the insert.

He, he. You get the quality you paid for. The cheap shiny plating will probably fall off anyway. Chinese made?

I usually just scrape the surface with a screw driver to remove the oxide film and, if necessary, increase the temperature of the soldering iron a little.

Len

Yes, cheap plugs often have a shiney surface, which doesn't accept solder well - all the previous suggestions will work, basically you need to roughen the surface so the solder can take. A fine abrasive paper is probably the best way - although I often use the crude screwdriver scraping technique as well 8)

yes the best way is to use a sandpaper a bit. rub the area, what you plan to solder a bit and then solder. It works for me...

Cheers for the tips! I have some fine sandpaper which might do the job, and my big clumsy £3 30w soldering iron will probably have to be used :lol:

Also have some brasso, thats pretty abrasive, would that help?

Dr.EM said:
Cheers for the tips! I have some fine sandpaper which might do the job, and my big clumsy £3 30w soldering iron will probably have to be used :lol:

Also have some brasso, thats pretty abrasive, would that help?

No, it would make things worse, it's a polish more than an abrasive, and leaves a deposit behind that would probably prevent soldering.

take the black cover off. If there is a hole going through the metal (I'd laugh if there wasn't) feed some wire through that hole. and if you want to do a 2 minute jobby, just feed the wire through until you can grab both ends of the wire. now start twisting the wire like crazy until you can't twist anymore. Basically, you are connected. and yes, add solder for extra connection if the wire you use can accept solder.

and why use that kind of plug?

Ok, think i'll go and try this. Firstly the sandpaper idea, then if that fails, the 2 minute job :lol:

I wanted to use them because they are quite small so don't intrude on a front panel layout too much, and as I needed a lot of them, I had to get something cheap.

Ok, a lot of solder later...

I sanded it, and managed to get some connection via the hole in the side. I then had enough support so that I could fill it in from the top. The top was easy to sand, so the solder took to it quite well. Basically, every part of the plug is flooded with solder now, and it seems to have made a decent connection. Cheers for the advice :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back