Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will connecting higher dbi antenna damage my wireless adaptor and computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw-b

Hi there. I have TPLinkTLWN722N wireless adaptor. WNIC of the wireless adaptor has 5 dbi default antenna. I want to connect 16 dbi yagi antenna to my WNIC.
Will this antenna damage my computer motherboard or WNIC?
Should I consider the raspberry pi to do not risk my computer?
Should I consider cooling fan or heatsink for WNIC?

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Higher gain antenna will not hurt the adapter. Remember however, that a yagi is directional, the signal is strongest in the direction of the yagi, at the expense of other directions. That is, it may have 16dBi gain in the direction it is pointed at, but may be -10dBi or worse in other directions.

A higher gain antenna magnifies a signal that is too weak otherwise for proper operation bringing up to a reliable level. Like a lens is to light, should not harm circuits.
Exposing such higher gain/magnifying antenna to excessive Rx levels can saturate a receiver even if properly designed, but falls beyond the safe needs.
For Tx; does not abuse the transmitter capabilities nor its power demand.

Last edited:
16 dB Yagi may not be useful if you cannot aim directly to site and don't move, something like binoculars. Maybe you should explain the reason you want it or symptoms of problems now.

16 dB Yagi may not be useful if you cannot aim directly to site and don't move, something like binoculars. Maybe you should explain the reason you want it or symptoms of problems now.
Thanks. Higher gain yagi antenna is the most beneficial antenna for my situation because I know the location of the AP. I just want to ensure that higher gain antenna cause any kind of damage to my computer so I do not risk my computer.

There is no risk to your computer but 16 dB gain on the Tx signal is not friendly to your eyes. if staring at it along the axial direction up close.

There is no risk to your computer but 16 dB gain on the Tx signal is not friendly to your eyes. if staring at it along the axial direction up close.

I would imagine there's no difference to using a mobile phone, which has a LOT more power.

I've also never heard of any RF concerns with eyes, particularly with low power WiFi, even through a yagi.

I've also never heard of any RF concerns with eyes,
Yes and no;
I have been on broadcast towers when they were transmitting 100kw. (and look how I tuned out, lol)
On the other hand 2.4ghz is where microwave ovens transmit. It is the frequency where water molecules dance. If any RF was to hurt you, that is it.

I agree with Nigel that the power level is so low you can not feel the energy.
But just in case I will not duct tape a 2.4ghz WiFi transmitter to my head for long periods of time.

Well I know it's not that bad but eyes are caterogenic to microwave heat over time.

If you want to see what happens in accelerated time, put a grape in the microwave oven for 30 seconds

If you want to see what happens in accelerated time, put a grape in the microwave oven for 30 seconds
1000 watts on a grape verses WiFi on your eye. ?? I think we all agree that pointing a WiFi high gain antenna at your head is not good. How can you measure the temperature increase in your eye in uC or is it mC increase? Hard to probe damage but lets just not do it just in case.

"16 dbi yagi" The antenna does not really amplify the power but focuses it like a flashlight.
1552754340998.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back