Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wierd Audio Output From Stereo

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamdiya

Wierd Crackling Audio Output From Stereo

Hey all,

I have this home stereo (or somewhat like that) that makes this weird crackling sound from the speakers, rather then outputting any audio.

I made a recording (1 min) of what is output. You will know what I mean better than I can explain it.

Recording (1.38MB) - **broken link removed**

I don't remember when this happen. Thing is, I didn't use it for a while, then when I came back to use it, it was making this sound. Note that this crackling sound is made weather or not there is actually any audio output (e.g. playing a CD). The speakers are not @ fault here because i tested them and they worked (hooked them up to my computer speakers).

I've also taken some picture of the Stereo (inside and out), perhaps someone can spot the problem: (the one i'm referring to is the top one).

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Sorry if the images are not all that clear. Im willing to buy anything to fix it.

Thanks

Edit: Clearer images. Reason for the yellowness is because i used a light bulb to illuminate the picture.

**broken link removed**\
Loose component - or somewhat loose

**broken link removed**
Loose component - or somewhat loose

**broken link removed**
Relays

**broken link removed**
Relay and some components

**broken link removed**
White deposit @ bottom of capacitor + Relay

**broken link removed**
White deposit @ bottom of capacitor

**broken link removed**
White deposit @ bottom of capacitor

**broken link removed**
Volume control area. motor is used for remote volume control

**broken link removed**
Volume control area. motor is used for remote volume control

**broken link removed**
Audio output switches - Front

**broken link removed**
Audio output switches - Circuit

**broken link removed**
Control panel board

**broken link removed**
Control panel board

**broken link removed**
Control panel board

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
The pics showed no mouse in there.
The volume control, switches or one of the many ribbon cables might have corroded contacts.
A part (both channels?) or an item listed above might have poor soldering.

It appears to be full of dust and fluff, that will not help it.

JimB

I noticed today that above a certain volume level(3/10 which is really loud), i was able to get audio output (not the crackle) for a short while (~30-45 sec). Any plausible explanation for this?

PS: Can dust really do this? sounds doubtfull? I will, however, clean it and tell you what happens.

You say in one of the pictures that you will pay just about anything ton fix it up.....just take the silly thing down to a Sony Authorized Repair Shop, and have them fix it.
Unless something has actually caught fire...or is leaking....a handful of blurry pictures are pretty much useless.

bigkim100 said:
I SEE THE PROBLEM!!..its that wire....over there.
Yup, yesiree, that'll fix it right up.:rolleyes:

You actually had me there for a second.

I can't believe i didn't think of taking it to Sony :mad:

How much would it cost you to buy another one, are you sure it's worth repairing it?

If they are gona charge me $500 for repair, no way. I did say ill pay anything, but that is too extreme. I should have said ill pay anything to buy "components", not a new one.

Are you surce the problem isn't being caused by interference from another piece of electronic equipment?

Have you bought anything new recently?

Have you heard and interference on the radio or seen any on the TV?

Does this happen all the tim or is it more common at certain times of day.

It could even be your neighbours.

You could even try taking the sterio round a friends house and operating it there to see if you have the same problems.

I doubt that such a complicated piece of antique equipment is going to able to be fixed over the internet. If you are really in love with this specific boat anchor...then take it to to Sony, and ask for a quote. You will probibly only pay 30-70$ for the quote, and nothing for the quote if you go ahead with the repair.
I really dont think that it will cost anywhere close to $500.00 to repair, but take into consideration that hock-shops, and trade-in places like Cash Converters are filled with items like this..usually only 1-2 years old, for around 100.00$ each.

Last edited:
AND before you go peeling off too many 100.00$ bills from that thick wad of cash...a quick search on ebay came up with several hundred of your receiver models (I cant tell your specific prefix from your pictures), but units that are newer versions of yours, for example the str-525 series...and are hi-def compatable, with remote, are running in the 150.00$ NEW range...and around 50.00$ or less, USED...but in perfect condition.
Just plug in Sony,str,receiver...and about 10 pages full of receivers for sale will pop up.

Last edited:
mister_e said:
It's sounds to me a cold solder AND/OR dusty output relay.
Did you tried the usual 'drop test' ?

Throwing it on the ground?

Inteferance: I tried the unit in 2 different places, for the sake of trying, but not luck. Same thing.

If these are being sold on ebay for $50 (give or take), i think ill get me one of those. Thing is, the speakers i have for these are amazing! 2 x 100W They can be very loud. Loudest ive taken them was when the volume was half way only! I would have cracked up the volume more, but, they where just too loud, for me and the neighbours.

Is it just me?, or have you never given any sort of description of the fault?.

For a start:

Is in on all channels, or just one?.

Does it do it with the volume turned right down?.

Those two questions locate the potential fault to specific possible areas.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Is it just me?, or have you never given any sort of description of the fault?.

For a start:

Is in on all channels, or just one?.

Does it do it with the volume turned right down?.

Those two questions locate the potential fault to specific possible areas.

Hmm, i think i described it as best as i can. I included a sound file of what i hear.

Anyway, ill answer your questions.
Is in on all channels, or just one? If you mean Left and Right, then yes.
Does it do it with the volume turned right down? No.

hamdiya said:
Is in on all channels, or just one? If you mean Left and Right, then yes.

As it's on BOTH channels it has to be something common to both channels, possibly the power supply to the preamps?, with a leaky electrolytic probably heading the list?.

Does it do it with the volume turned right down? No.

Then it's not in the power amps, or their power supply - which is why I suggested preamp power supply above!.

I did notice some white deposits next to one of those big capacitors shown in the pictures. @ first i thought it was salt (or w/e) but now you mention it, could it be a bad capacitor? Because this one is huge, as you can see.

That white deposit is likely a silicone based adhesive applied to help anchor those large filter caps to the board. It's far cheaper and faster to dab a blob of it than to use steel or aluminum mounting brackets like the good old stuff used to have. I'd rule out those as the problem. You could take a tongue depressor or popsicle stick and start tapping areas of the circuit boards to see if it worsens or disappears. That in itself could indicate poor solder joints or faulty board connector(s). You have to eliminate all chances of poor connections first, before you spend money and time on component/stage troubleshooting. Dust accumulation on pc boards causing that noise is rare. Only if dust enters the controls or of board connectors become oxidized might you hear that kind of static noise.
Oh and if those pictures were any bigger, I'd need a GPS to find my way around!!

Okey, ill do that.

I cant take it to Sony atm because im too busy. I'll hopefully take it to them on the weekend.

Edit:

Oh yeah, i do remember this specific component that was loose. Don't know if it was supposed to be/not, but it's loosness was strange, as if it was designed like that. I dont know what exactly it is, but it looks somewhat like a relay with a black case. Ill try to take it a pic+vid and post it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back