Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why not make use of domestic water pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Social trap is a term used by psychologists to describe a situation in which a group of people act to obtain short-term individual gains, which in the long run leads to a loss for the group as a whole."

"Social trap is a term used by psychologists to describe a situation in which a group of people act to obtain short-term individual gains, which in the long run leads to a loss for the group as a whole."

"Vague is a term used by everyone to describe a statement made by a person that has no obvious reference to the topic at hand, which in the long run leads to confusion for the discussion as a whole."

Couldn't resist. :D

So, how about if smanches installs a turbine/generator on the water feed-line going into his house. Any time (s)he uses water, the turbine/generator produces electricity. Any loss in pressure will be on their side of the cities' water system. Everyone else will have their pressure maintained, and smanches can accept the pressure loss in his house. ;)

Ken

I see no problem with it. If the persons house has higher incoming pressure anyway most home water use applications wont even notice.
Your shower may be a bit weak but if you take and drill out that retarded water saver orifice they put in the shower head a 15 PSI shower fells like a 60 PSI shower did before!

Build a small fission plant :)

Now thats a AE DIY thread I want to see!:)

This kind of thing gives me the feeling that if sun was something that you pay for on a flat fee, and it cost the environment more if you took it for energy, we would have solar panels everywhere.

Some of these guys are just not getting it.. If you acess the pressure side of your water system for generating power. that origional energy has to come from SOMEWHERE.

Chances are, It's from the water company using electric pumps, if you put a generator in it then that pump has to work harder! Simple fact. period. And as we all know any step in conversion of energy looses some , It will now work at 100% energy.. so why not just run a line from the water co's electrical mains, at least that way, you won't be stealing as much!

Now if you pop one in the drain system yes, that is gravity capture, and it's not costing anyone anything, except your construction/maintenance/cleaning costs.. I bet that payback would be FOREVER!

I took odd jobs when I was a kid I found myself working on a crew that provided local water to new homes as well as maintain them. Here in Utah we have the Rocky Mountains with spring run off we have substations that collect the water which will feed some large tanks on the hillsides near where the town is.

Typical size of main line feeding the system is 20" or bigger the weight of the water is the pressure feeding the homes. I don't believe that there is a pump but I believe there would be a need for a regulator to keep from damaging water lines below.

If someone were to put in a generator at a specific location on the end of the drop and calculate the volume of and pressure at that location I think there may be a possibility that it could Generate some voltage.

kv:)

I think water systems are gravity fed where it's possible, but pumps are added where gravity alone isn't capable of providing the required pressure.

In the UK at various places water is also pumped out from deep wells, these obviously can't be gravity fed :D

Here's an outstanding example, not far from me, that I've visited a number of times, including when it's in steam.

PPS Main Page

Beautiful place, but now the water is pumped by a small electric sytem in a small shed :D

I think water systems are gravity fed where it's possible, but pumps are added where gravity alone isn't capable of providing the required pressure.

In the UK at various places water is also pumped out from deep wells, these obviously can't be gravity fed :D

Here's an outstanding example, not far from me, that I've visited a number of times, including when it's in steam.

PPS Main Page

Beautiful place, but now the water is pumped by a small electric sytem in a small shed :D

Your not kidding I'm surprised they don't have a brewery there.

kv:)

Some of these guys are just not getting it.. If you acess the pressure side of your water system for generating power. that origional energy has to come from SOMEWHERE.

Chances are, It's from the water company using electric pumps, if you put a generator in it then that pump has to work harder! Simple fact. period. And as we all know any step in conversion of energy looses some , It will now work at 100% energy.. so why not just run a line from the water co's electrical mains, at least that way, you won't be stealing as much!

Domestic water is not a closed loop system. All the energy that goes into increasing the pressure is lost as soon as you open the faucet. It does not get recycled back to the pumping station, it's just GONE. At this point is where you harvest some of that energy.

You would be correct if it was a closed loop system, where the water is going back to the source.

You know, at this point I don't even know why i should bother.. no it's NOT a closed loop system BUT... IF YOU PUT A GENERATOR ON THE DOMESTIC SUPPLY LINE YOU CAUSE ANY PUMPS THAT THE WATER COMPANY USES TO DEVELOP PRESSURE TO WORK HARDER. period..

I'm done, if people cannot figure this out, then, ta H*** with it.

This thread has gone far enough and with several snide remarks made by members which weren't topical to the thread topic, also with the bickering starting this thread is now CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back