Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why is the prototyping board called "breadboard"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: why is the prototyping board called "breadboard&quo

janetsmith2000@yahoo.com said:
It's nothing to do with bread, anyway.

I am curious.

As I understand it, it comes from MANY years ago - where you would use a wooden board (such as a breadboard), and knock small nails into it. You then soldered the components to the protruding heads of the nails, and ran wires between them.

When the modern 'plug in' boards appeared, they 'stole' the name.

And I though it's because it looks like white sliced bread (white plastic) and because it's easy to insert parts into bread (it's soft)... Interesting :lol:

Years ago, before candy bars and such where available, techies used to snack on bread...believe it or not. They also used to wear an onion on their belt, which was the fashion at the time.

Well, inevitably, they would get so many bread crumbs on their desks - and especially the circuits they were working on - that they referred to the area as the breadboard. Later on someone came up with the idea of sockets.

:-D

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back