Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why don't people listen anymore...selective hearing maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mikebits said:
they require industry experience.

That was my point Mike, the college degree itself is worthless without experience.

Sorry picbits but I don't find anything weird about the story you told at all, there's absolutely no reason what he wanted to try wasn't feasible from the start and the more experienced person should have realized immediately that what he was doing was very likely to work, I'm not sure why anyone would think that wouldn't. It's less a testament to the newbies intelligence and fresh perspective and more a show of how so called experts sometimes lock their minds off in little boxes of possibilities and refuse to actively think.

Let me tell you a little story.

Many years ago I worked in an electronics shop. We had a saturday member of staff who had worked for the company for many many years. He didn't need to - he had a great job with the council managing the AV / IT for all the local schools. He did it because he loved it and had an interest in electronics. He had a couple of nice cars, a big house and while being rather sarcastic was a lovely bloke.

We had a new trainee manager in. He had absolutely no electronics experience but was a nice enough lad. One day he came up with a theory that if you connected a couple of TV aerial boosters the wrong way and plugged the aerial into the ouput and a RF source into the input from a VCR or camera, you could build your own television transmitter. The saturday guy with all his years of experience fell about laughing and totally put his idea down. Then a fiver was bet on it working or not.

We hooked up a couple of aerial amps together, plugged it into a VCR and the store TV aerial and went on walkabouts with a pocket handheld tv. Shockingly it managed to broadcast a reasonable picture and sound with a very respectable range around the town center !

Sometimes just because it shouldn't work doesn't mean it won't work. Sometimes a fresh and amateur approach to a problem will produce unexpected but welcome results.

99% of the time though they will fall flat on their faces and argue they are right until they are blue in the face :p

That's true. Guessing and getting lucky still bugs me though...a little information is dangerous.

ETO is not about guessing. Just imagine 1000 people reading the example above...and then they try it...and it will not work for them for whatever reason. The questions end up here......

Cheers,
tvtech

Last edited:
Sceadwian wrote:
Sorry picbits but I don't find anything weird about the story you told at all, there's absolutely no reason what he wanted to try wasn't feasible from the start and the more experienced person should have realized immediately

Yes, I am agree with Sceadwian on this.
If there is a modulated RF output from the camera, and it does not overdrive the amplifier, it will work OK.
I am sure that the "wet behind the ears" manager did not realise the many potential pitfalls of the idea,
but,
"Mr Experience" showed himself as lacking in understanding for immediately rejecting the idea.

Sometimes it is better to let a silly idea run around in your head before giving an opinion.
But often, silly ideas are just that - silly!

JimB

I'm not sure why anyone would think that wouldn't. It's less a testament to the newbies intelligence and fresh perspective and more a show of how so called experts sometimes lock their minds off in little boxes of possibilities and refuse to actively think.

Thats exactly the point I was trying to make with my post. Sometimes some of us are way too set in our ways and beliefs to open up enough and realise that sometimes what may seem to us to be a silly idea may just work ......

Hi Guys..

I work daily with the thickest of the thickest. Like in South Africa......Really wearing me out and all. Stupids set no boundaries......at all.

I know better than to moan though....or swear at uselessness..It's the African way after all. And I am stuck with it.

The way the ruling party has things planned, we as a country should be broke by around December 2012

I will leave it there.

Best regards guys,

tvtech

Last edited:
we as a country should be broke by around December 2012
Maybe South Africa should join the Euro-Zone :D:D

JimB

JimB

Hi Jim

We have monkeys here handling lots of Tax Payers Moneeeeey....out of here before I get into trouble.

Best regards,
tvtech

Last edited:

JimB

A good point, but not one to laugh or smile about!

The EURO-Zone will go down the drain within that very year!

Politicians hesitated too long making support programs effective (at small rates). (You can't make a sword using cold steel and a 250g hammer!)

Greece should never had become member of the EURO-Zone as well as Portugal and Spain. The Greece government sneeked into the EURO-Zone to hide their fatal economy.

Since 2010 more than 1 Billion EUROs have been pumped into Greece (mainly by Germany) and all Germans get in return is swearing and burnt German flags in public places.

I'm tired of that business at all and I wish that Greece would return to their former currency (Drachme), devaluating their currency by at least 50% and try to build up a real functioning economy in the country, starting at tourism, which has a lot of potential.

Boncuk

A good point, but not one to laugh or smile about!

Politicians hesitated too long making support programs effective (at small rates). (You can't make a sword using cold steel and a 250g hammer!)

Greece should never had become member of the EURO-Zone as well as Portugal and Spain. The Greece government sneeked into the EURO-Zone to hide their fatal economy.

Since 2010 more than 1 Billion EUROs have been pumped into Greece (mainly by Germany) and all Germans get in return is swearing and burnt German flags in public places.

I'm tired of that business at all and I wish that Greece would return to their former currency (Drachme), devaluating their currency by at least 50% and try to build up a real functioning economy in the country, starting at tourism, which has a lot of potential.

Boncuk

How are you doing my friend?

Are you picking up weight and feeling better??

Please let us know. We all care about and love you too :)

Best regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Bocuk said:
I don't know about that, nightmares like that have a way of circling the drain longer than you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikebits
they require industry experience.
Above was something you said, not me. Not sure why you made the quote look like I said that.

That was my point Mike, the college degree itself is worthless without experience.

And like I previously mentioned, a fortune 500 company I use to work for actively recruited on school campuses for new grads with no other than college experience, so I know your claim that the degree without prior experience is worthless, is not true.

Last edited:
What was the fortune 500 company you worked for Mikebits, and what was their turn around for that particular highering practice? What you know is not substantiated based on results..

It's only not true from your specific perception.

I know your claim that the degree without prior experience is worthless, is not true.

As someone who went back to school as an experienced adult some years ago I can assure you that your statement is probably highly variable regarding what college or university you go recruiting at.

I went to NDSU in Fargo ND and I can assure you that at the time I went their electrical engineering curriculum was what I would call a sad sick joke by any realistic standards of normal rational business practices. :(

I was left feeling like I wasted three and a half years and spent a pile of money just to find out that when it comes right down to their electrical engineering program that only way I was going to get educated on what actually related to electrical engineering is when a company hires me sends me to get trained some place else. :mad:

The place I worked for was Qualcomm Inc. Here is an excerpt from their website.

At Qualcomm, students and new graduates jump right into next-generation technologies that are changing the wireless world. A world where power and capabilities keep increasing while the solutions get smaller and smaller. What’s more, Qualcomm leads in technology innovations no other company is even touching in the mobile space.

If you’re a recent graduate, you’re about to discover career opportunities as big as your aspirations.

Hi tvtech,

I'd better answer your questions in a PM. Thanks for taking care anyway.

Regards

Hans

I don't know about that, nightmares like that have a way of circling the drain longer than you expect.

That time down on the fastest way. Moody's is about degrading Germany's bonity. (ability to pay back dues.)

Presently investors put money into the European Central Bank at negative interest rates, meaning they pay an extra bonus to get permission to "park" their money there.

They rather want to make sure to get most of their money back instead of writing it off completely (including interest).

If Woody's ranking drops from "AAA" to "AAa" interest rates will increase by about 2 to 3% cutting money circulation to keep up economy.

World economy is about becoming a horror scenario soon! That includes China as well. Economy broke in there almost 8%.

Boncuk

T

World economy is about becoming a horror scenario soon! That includes China as well. Economy broke in there almost 8%.

Boncuk

I am only an electronic engineer and not an economist. Nevertheless, I am rather pessimistic regarding the future because I am afraid that there is no way out!
Why not?
Are there not enough highly educated people who know how to improve the overall situation?
Of course, the answer is "yes".
However, they never will have enough influence on the politicians so that their ideas can be realized.
Why not?
Because this would have a negative influence of the present life situation of all people in a country.
Politicians know that - and they want to be elected again. And that is more important than to cure the overall economical situation for the future.
In their eyes, short-termed improvements are more important than a long-termed success !!

Thus, the problem can be summarized as follows:
All countries with a political system that depends on regular elections have distributed (over several decades) much more money than they have collected. Just because of the next elections.
And too many people in their private environment did the same. Now, the results can be seen (Greece, Portugal, Spain,.......). And the list will become longer in the future. That's for sure.

Sorry for my bad english - hopefully, I was able to express my thoughts in an understandable manner.
Thank you.
W.

Sorry for my bad english - hopefully, I was able to express my thoughts in an understandable manner.
Nothing to apologise for there Winterstone, it all looks good to me.

Not like this prime example from a recent post elsewhere here on ETO:
i wana covert output of PT100 sensor in to voltage....

JimB

Hi Winterstone,

if you follow up history you'll find out a very distinctive fact about government income versus population income:

"The king to what is the king's and the folk to what is the folks".

At that time the king charged 10% tax for his private life and costs of the army he had to keep to frighten enemies away in order to protect his country and folks.

If the king mismanaged his country he was forced by his folk to withdraw and have someone better to follow up. (Some kings were executed if they didn't want to withdraw.)

You can't force a democratic government out of business even if they wasted billions. You just have the power to put that fact to public information - that's about all.

You have the power to elect another party to rule the country, which happens pretty often in the Federal Republic of Germany.

After another party has taken over government business it won't care a sh..t to null bad laws of the former government to fill government money boxes for member's certainly put in place to go for private business after preparing their withdrawal. (I wonder if somebody would get the idea to charge "sh..t tax" sometime.)

Example: Our chancellor Gerhard Schroeder has prepared his changeover thoroughly by using German tax money to build a gas pipeline from Russia to Europe. Now he's one of the top managers of "GazProm" the company delivering gas to Europe.

I have had a dream for some time and it repeats constantly: Get all politicians around the world and chase them into a huge steel box. Close it and leave some top openings for grenades to pass through. Let kids have their fun tossing the weapons into that box until there is no more sign of life. Then take the box aboard a huge ship and sink it at the deepest spot in the ocean. That way they can be useful serving as food for fish mankind needs to live.

Let unspoiled heads rule the world from that time on.

Sorry for that "brutal" input, but I guess politicians act more brutal and they have done so over the last 60 years.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back