Why doesn't this preamp for electret mic work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

To activate the transmitter, I can enable the VOX then push a PTT button at the earpiece and speak, or in normal mode, just press the PTT at the radio when the earpiece is plugged to the radio and speak. There's no problem with that.

If I reduce R2, the Ib and Ic will come closer, which will reduce the gain of the transistor, right?

More info: The inside(radio) mic is 2k ohm condenser. Does this help me in calculation of the gain and impedance of the earpiece?

2K is reasonable for that type of mic. Calculation of the circuit gain will not be very accurate do to the large variance in transistor beta, alone. Experiment with R2 to get the best results.

If I reduce R2, the Ib and Ic will come closer, which will reduce the gain of the transistor, right?

As Ic increases, the voltage at the collector decreases and thus the base current (due to the current through R2) will be reduced. This counteracts the increase in base current due a rise in the input signal voltage. Reducing R2 increases the amount of degenerative (negative) feedback, lowering the circuit gain.

Alright, I tried putting 50k trimmer at R2 and the result shows louder level of sound when the resistance is higher but still not desirable. I think the mic might have been damaged somewhat. I will buy a new one and try again.

Sounds reasonable, especially considering that the radio should perform okay with just the mic connected. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…