Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why does a dual power supply cost more than two single ones ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prof328

I’m slowly building up my equipment from scratch and I feel the need for an adjustable power supply.

Scanning ebay for a second hand one, as I am poor, I note that dual power supplies sell for more than the price of two single versions of the same item, just wondering why that is the case.

The space for two singles would be similar to the dual.

Hmm, interesting note, I'd like to know that too! care toss some links? I'm thinking perhaps dual-supply model has Series/paraller switch, ability of un-balanced load etc...."fancy" features?

I would presume simply due to scales of economy, single supplies probably sell in much greater numbers.

You can however buy single supplies that link together, to become a dual supply.

Scanning ebay for a second hand one, as I am poor, I note that dual power supplies sell for more than the price of two single versions of the same item, just wondering why that is the case.

As it is secondhand units we are considering, I guess the seller of these units believe that the buyers are prepared to pay a premium for the convenience of a dual supply.

An item is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.
It is called capitalism, and it generally works quite well.

JimB

In some of them, the circuitry and switching required to implement all the different modes (series, parallel, independent) is significant. Many provide a tracking voltage feature, to make the voltages fully symmetrical.

But if it is only a plain-vanilla dual output, then I guess is just BS.

All else being equal, the two supplies should cost more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back