Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which way round for log volume control pot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I'm knocking up a small amp and have two 10 K log potentiometers, now being log ones they will have a right and wrong direction won't they ? which way round do they go ?

Assuming that our ears tell the difference less between high sounds than low then I would assume that having put the slider half way and measured one side as 8.5 K and the other 1.5 K that the 1.5 K side is the high end and the 8.5 end is the ground side, am I correct ?

Last edited:
Yes, you are right.

The pins are normally labelled too.

I don't see your problem?, ignore the fact it's a log pot, and simply wire it so turning in clockwise makes it louder - it's then correct.

That makes perfect sense....but....there are Log taper, Reverse Log taper, Audio taper, 2-Segment Audio taper, and Reverse Audio taper pots. Wonder which the OP really has.

The Secret Life of Pots

Ken

That makes perfect sense....but....there are Log taper, Reverse Log taper, Audio taper, 2-Segment Audio taper, and Reverse Audio taper pots. Wonder which the OP really has.

He said log, anti-log are FAR less common anyway - if not outright rare.

Audio-taper is basically the same thing, just a different name.

actually I think I got my logic back to front ! if the ear is more sensitive to lower sounds then I need the smaller end of the pot at the bottom, the pot scale needs to be logaritmic in the same direction as the sounds we hear to transfor the linear scale into the log one we hear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back