Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Ratings Should We Remove (if any)?

Which Ratings Should We Remove?

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Dislike

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Agree

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Disagree

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Funny

• Informative

• Thanks

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • No change.. leave as is

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing a several members here don't seem to realize is that the ratings are arbitrary. They are in no way used by the site to determine whether or not you're allowed to view content, post in certain locations, etc. Generally speaking, we don't care if you have a hundred dislikes. Notice that only your "likes" count appears under your avatar in a post. In order for someone to see how many "dislikes", "disagrees", etc. you have, they have to consciously go to your profile page and scroll down to look at the rating breakdown. In reality these ratings hold no weight whatsoever (with the exception of, perhaps, the "likes" which are shown directly under your name in a post. These might provide the reader with an idea of how experienced you are, but technically don't mean much considering anyone can "like" anything). Their only value is what you give them, as the recipient.

A potential alternative, if the admins agree, would be to make your ratings breakdown on your profile page only visible to you (the account owner) and not visible publicly. Not sure how much coding would be required to implement this, but I can't imagine it would be too much. I think the mechanics are already in place.

One thing a several members here don't seem to realize is that the ratings are arbitrary. They are in no way used by the site to determine whether or not you're allowed to view content, post in certain locations, etc. Generally speaking, we don't care if you have a hundred dislikes. Notice that only your "likes" count appears under your avatar in a post. In order for someone to see how many "dislikes", "disagrees", etc. you have, they have to consciously go to your profile page and scroll down to look at the rating breakdown. In reality these ratings hold no weight whatsoever (with the exception of, perhaps, the "likes" which are shown directly under your name in a post. These might provide the reader with an idea of how experienced you are, but technically don't mean much considering anyone can "like" anything). Their only value is what you give them, as the recipient.

A potential alternative, if the admins agree, would be to make your ratings breakdown on your profile page only visible to you (the account owner) and not visible publicly. Not sure how much coding would be required to implement this, but I can't imagine it would be too much. I think the mechanics are already in place.

I'm assuming some of that refers to myself, since I brought up the 'weighting' side of things...
Looks like this site apparently does not care whether a member has a large number of dislikes, because they are an argumentative tool, but only displays the amount of likes that a member has collected, in order to portray that it is a most-welcoming place and everything is going to be soft fluffy clouds for all time. That is, until Uber-Troll lets loose and makes it his mission to 'call out' everyone he chooses, to make himself feel better. How many members has this one chased away so far?
IMO, this site has become blindly focused with shoving the crap under the carpet, climbing atop and pretending that it is not there, whilst getting vertigo in the process.
And we wonder why ETO follows yet another orbit around the drain?

AAC is looking much more attractive these days. I never thought I would want to turn away from ETO, but I think the time has come.

Would you rather have every member that disagrees with a post, have to construct a reply which attempts to explain why the post is wrong
Re: On-topic (i.e. fact vs opinion) areas Absolutely! IWHT as much went without saying?:confused: IMO 'mute' or otherwise unsubstantiated challenges to content offered as scientific/technical commentary, instruction or advice are all of disruptive, cowardly and, I daresay, more than slightly suspect...

That said, I see some merit no harm in maintenance of the 'status quo' in off-topic areas...

Best regards
HP:cool:

Last edited:
I'm assuming some of that refers to myself, since I brought up the 'weighting' side of things...
Looks like this site apparently does not care whether a member has a large number of dislikes, because they are an argumentative tool, but only displays the amount of likes that a member has collected, in order to portray that it is a most-welcoming place and everything is going to be soft fluffy clouds for all time. That is, until Uber-Troll lets loose and makes it his mission to 'call out' everyone he chooses, to make himself feel better. How many members has this one chased away so far?
IMO, this site has become blindly focused with shoving the crap under the carpet, climbing atop and pretending that it is not there, whilst getting vertigo in the process.
And we wonder why ETO follows yet another orbit around the drain?

AAC is looking much more attractive these days. I never thought I would want to turn away from ETO, but I think the time has come.
I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, and I apologize if it seemed like I was picking on you specifically. No, my comment was a general statement based on what I've witnessed over the past several years. Regarding your points about displaying likes to make this place look more welcoming, while I understand where you're coming from I don't think that's how it comes across, and I doubt that was the intent. Once again, I think the intent was to show that a member with a high number of "likes" indicates respect and experience. As I mentioned, though, this does not always work because anyone can "like" anything, whether it is a good, useful post or not. As for shoving things under the carpet, I don't think that's the case. This thread (and multiple others) are a perfect example. We are actively reaching out to get the opinions of the community. Nothing is being changed without a proper open discussion with everyone who would be affected who is willing to participate. These thoughts regarding the ratings have not even been officially proposed to the Administration yet - I wanted to start a discussion between members first to get an idea of where people stood.

Regards,
Matt

I initially cast my vote for "No change- leave as is" but after reading the comments here I changed it in favor of removing the "Dislike" rating; it appears to accomplish little, other than creating drama. The "Disagree" rating would seem to suffice for cases of simple disagreement (as over a technical matter) and if something truly obnoxious or offensive gets posted, the "Report" button is always there.

I could be persuaded to get rid of the "Like" rating as well, given that we have other positive ratings like "Informative", "Funny", "Thanks" and "Agree"; but I don't feel strongly enough about it to vote for its elimination.

I initially cast my vote for "No change- leave as is" but after reading the comments here I changed it in favor of removing the "Dislike" rating; it appears to accomplish little, other than creating drama. The "Disagree" rating would seem to suffice for cases of simple disagreement (as over a technical matter) and if something truly obnoxious or offensive gets posted, the "Report" button is always there
Ditto (after thinking about it all a little more...).

The comment about responding "Why" you have disliked someone would be good.... If a popup appears with comment box for the reason would be good... Actually that would be the answer for all the facebooky buttons...

The comment about responding "Why" you have disliked someone would be good.... If a popup appears with comment box for the reason would be good... Actually that would be the answer for all the facebooky buttons...
I agree, so long as a comment was required before the rating would be posted.

Hi all,

I think it's time to discuss the results.

It seems safe to say that Agree, Disagree, Funny, Informative, and Thanks will probably remain unchanged - the poll shows that very few people have problems with these ratings.

The discussion seems to come down to "Like" and "Dislike". I have heard compelling arguments from both sides and, while I haven't completely changed my own mind, I am much more open to others' arguments and I have a better understanding of the community's opinions.

To those who want to get rid of "Dislike" as well as those who want to keep it - Would anyone object to the site requesting that the user offer a brief explanation of their reasoning when they "Dislike" a post? I think this could alleviate quite a bit of grief caused by drive-by "Dislikes" with no explanation.

For consistency, perhaps also provide an optional comment for "Likes"?

Keep in mind this has not even been discussed with the administration yet, this is just a brainstorming session for the community.

Regards,
Matt

Seems to me that removal of the "dislike" option will force a dissenter to add a post to the forum, ideally with justification. Hopefully having to add a new post would automatically deter drive-by dislikes.

To my mind, thank-you and agree buttons are a quick way to say thanks or agree without a whole extra post that says little. Anything more justifies a post with explanation.

Those are my principles - and if you don't like them - I have others (Groucho Marks).

I think dislike should be removed, not justified.

Last edited:
To those who want to get rid of "Dislike" as well as those who want to keep it - Would anyone object to the site requesting that the user offer a brief explanation of their reasoning when they "Dislike" a post? I think this could alleviate quite a bit of grief caused by drive-by "Dislikes" with no explanation.
From what I've seen so far of the instances where the "Dislike" rating was used, requesting or requiring an explanation would invite even more grief, not less. My opinion: just get rid of it.

For consistency, perhaps also provide an optional comment for "Likes"?
Not needed. If a user wants to express his reason for liking a post, he can always post a comment.

Matt I think its a fair point that likes dont need a reason, they are mainly used when someone comes up with something you havnt thought of etc, its a kind of quick way to say something without actually saying anything.

I have no objection to putting a reason for a dislike but nine times out of ten its obvious, unless done by mistake. On my old account i think i have only used dislike 3-4 times. disagree and agree are useful, they are like a quick poll, especially if there is several ways to do something. If you get a few people agree (or disagree) its gives the op an indication of or poll of what others think is the most viable way.

LEAVE the FUNNY ICON ALONE! :D

From what I've seen so far of the instances where the "Dislike" rating was used, requesting or requiring an explanation would invite even more grief, not less.
(I agree, but playing devil's advocate here) do keep in mind that such an explanation would be required to be kept brief. I wouldn't want to allow a full paragraph explaining why you "disliked" a post, as that could open up a whole can of worms. I don't think a one-sentence explanation could really cause too much grief.
LEAVE the FUNNY ICON ALONE! :D
Emoticons aren't being discussed here, just the 7 ratings.

(I agree, but playing devil's advocate here) do keep in mind that such an explanation would be required to be kept brief. I wouldn't want to allow a full paragraph explaining why you "disliked" a post, as that could open up a whole can of worms. I don't think a one-sentence explanation could really cause too much grief.

Emoticons aren't being discussed here, just the 7 ratings.
I meant the funny rating sorry.

Bear with us for a little while. Administration has taken notice and there may be some intermediate states while we discuss things with them. Currently only the default Xenforo "Like" button is enabled, but I'm hoping we can get Administration to read this thread and get a better idea of what the community is hoping for. Your votes have not been ignored.

Hi Dave, thank you very much for reading.

Was this an executive decision made by the administration based on the poll? How difficult would it be to add custom code to create a mandatory popup text field for adding a reason for a dislike? That seemed to be a good idea, but having written code for a forum myself I can understand how much of a pain that might be.

Cheers,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back