Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which pic to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkelly47

Im interested in getting into pic programming, I have taken a few courses in c++ so i have decided to lean how to program the pic in C, and i have chosen to use the CCS PCWHD software. Unless anyone has a better suggesting?
My question is which pic should I use to start with. Im hopping to be able to learn how to convert the analogue output of hall effect sensors, accelerometers, temperature sensors etc. into digital and feed that information to a LCD display or maybe even a computer via usb. Thanks in advance

Im interested in getting into pic programming, I have taken a few courses in c++ so i have decided to lean how to program the pic in C, and i have chosen to use the CCS PCWHD software. Unless anyone has a better suggesting?
My question is which pic should I use to start with. Im hopping to be able to learn how to convert the analogue output of hall effect sensors, accelerometers, temperature sensors etc. into digital and feed that information to a LCD display or maybe even a computer via usb. Thanks in advance

you are aware that there are many other as good and better microprocessors?

you are aware that there are many other as good and better microprocessors?

This may be the case stevech, but the Microchip PIC range has extensive support and many people use them and are confortable with them.

Becasue of this, the process of learning is made easier becasue many people will be able to answer any questions a newbie may have about a PIC.

This is just my opinion of course...

In answer to rkelly47's question,
I would start with the PIC16F84A or the PIC16F628A
These are both 18 pin devices and the 628A is a more updated version of the 84A, although the 84A is still in use.

However they do not have ADC capabilities, but when it comes to support, you wont run out!
If you want to go straight to a PIC device that has ADC capabilities, more pins (40) and almost as much support, you can opt for the PIC16F877A.

This is the programmer i use...PIC Programmer
Once you know how to write the code, the rest is simple when you know how.

You will find a lot of information in the Microchip datasheets.
There is also the instruction set and example code.
But, It is all in assembly language.
Presonally I started with and continue to use assembly language.
Although a lot of people seem to code in C.
There is a user called atomsoft who i have noticed will help anyone with their C code when ever he can.
As well as many others in this forum of course.

Good luck to you,
hope this answers at least one of your questions...

If your budget extends to $139 I would just buy one of these;

**broken link removed**
EasyPIC6 PIC Microcontrollers Development System Tool(programmer, debugger, manual, examples) mikroElektronika

The MikroC compiler is good for PIC because it handles bit variables very well and it is free for small PIC projects up to 2K rom. It has ready to use libraries for all the sensor devices you mentioned and LCD and serial comms to PC, USB comms etc etc.

I agree with Jake's assessment except I would recommend newer chips. For 18 pin the 16F88 as this has ADC capability. For 28/40 pin the 16F886 and 16F887 as these are the newer versions of the 16F876/7.

Mike.

thanks for the input, i've been doing some research and i've decided to start with the 18f, does anybody know of any good beginner tutorials or lessons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back